5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

How long will the stock clutch slip before it wears out completely?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Question How long will the stock clutch slip before it wears out completely?

My clutch just started slipping and I was hoping someone would have an idea of how long it will take before the truck leaves me stranded somewhere. I tow 14k consistently and it just started slipping. What I mean by started slipping was driving for 18+ hours and it slipped maybe three times when I accelerated hard. Any help would be appreciated. All mods are in my sig and the smarty is on the 60HP plus timing mode, which I think is level 5. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How long will the stock clutch slip before it wears out completely?

I'd get one on order now.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

x2 get a new one quick it could last for awhile longer or it may go out tomorrow but trust me it is easier to get it done when it starts slipping than when it finally goes out

Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

i would get it changed if it is slipping you tow alot so get er done

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'm putting in a price request now.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Basically it is a function of how much it slips. It is real hard to give you an actual or accurate time frame. The friction material in there is similar to brake lining material. Even though it is able to slip it right now, under hard acceleration; if you stop slipping it you can actually get it to last quite a while (Weeks or even months). Of course once it does slip like this, each time you slip it you cause it to wear out exponetially faster!!

(Oh, another thing to consider: If you are taking off that hard even with that much weight you are also slipping your rear tires. I was driving like this on the East coast this year and was shocked to see how badly I wore my rear tires. It would seem with that much weight on the rear end that the tires wouldn't spin; but I'm here to tell you that the will slip!!! I could see the wear on them!! Pretty crazy really!!)

Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there have been plenty of guys that got it to reseat after glazing over, what it's doing to you right now by turning down the tune and driving reasonably safe (no hard acceleration, no fast shifting, no downshifting to slow the truck, and etc.). My trailer is only just over 10K and I was able to go a while just by lowering the tune, but it got to the point it was slipping without the trailer under heavy acceleration a few months later and I still drove it like that for a while but trying to be easy on it... Now with the dual disk, I keep the Smarty cranked up to sw 7 and torque on 3 while towing and love it...

Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

I would replace it and look into getting a nice dual disc

Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I have been looking into it more and was told that downshifting actually helps it grab better. When I drive it easy it does not slip so I am going to wait a while. I'll keep you guys posted so maybe others with this problem can have a better idea of how long it will last. My rear tires do spin even with all that weight. I was surprised as well, but it just goes to show you that you save a lot of money by driving easy.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be a lot cheaper if you done it now! If it goes out on the road you will have a tow bill and your looking at a flywheel also!! South bend builds some good clutch jest give them a call and tell them about your truck and how much you will be pulling.They will tell you what will be good to go.

Quick Reply: How long will the stock clutch slip before it wears out completely?