5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Best mod for MPG's?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look around through some other forums seems to be a lot of Smarty guys here. Great for big power numbers but my opinion is the Diablo Sport Preditor for mileage. 65 on a flat highway with no load in my 2wd mega cab gets 25mpg all day long. Only other mods is a 4" straight through exhaust and a K&N intake system. Look around it's the best thing you can do.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Diesel Fan

dr performance fuel/ boost fooler

Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

smarty gets my vote

Old 03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Yup Smarty or Smarty Jr

Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldude03
OK. My little brother just bought a NICE 2006 2500 Big Horn 4x4 with the auto trans and 3.73 gearing. Truck has 30,000 miles on it and is bone stock... tires and all. While he thinks he's satisfied with the power (he'll learn) he wants to maximise the fuel economy as it will be his daily driver. He's already ordered a cold air intake (AEM Brute Force HD) and trying to decide if he wants to lose the CAT and keep the stock exhaust (4" from the factory but unnessesary bends) or go with an aftermarket exhaust. I do know he wants to keep it reletively quiet, so a muffler of some kind will be used.

Big question he wants to know is what programmer/module offers the most MPG gains in a normally driven truck? I know there a quite a few geared toward just mileage gains with a little power increase thrown in as a bonus (like the Edge Mileage Max), but I have no experience with them.

What has been you guy's best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to increasing MPG's?
smarty is the ticket

Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 31 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess this answers my question as well I was going to ask the same thing I am looking to get a 06 Dodge with a cummins myself hopefully by this winter. Question for anyone that is actually running a Smarty what kind of mpg gains should I expect to see?

Old 07-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote would be a simply get a good flowing muffler to replace the stock one (remove the cat too if you can).For an intake I would go with S&B. They have a great price ($289) and the flow and filter as good as it gets. Now when it comes down to programmers I am not as big of a fan of the SMARTY as most are. I prefer a PPE for a programmer. But for mileage I have seen the best results with a module from Dr. Performance. So there is my 2 cents into this question.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Well I suppose it's about time I updated everyone on what my brother decided to do with his ride. He pretty much settled on the same mods that 99% of the other Common Rail owners out there do, i.e an intake, exhaust and chip/module. For the intake, he went with a AEM Brute Force HD system. This is a nice piece with a large, mandrel-bent, aluminum intake duct and a huge (bear to actually get it to fit in the space alloted... but it WILL go!) dry flow filter element. Good deep, mellow sound inside the cab and allows the turbo to sing a bit without sounding like a jet inside the truck.

For the exhaust, he decided on a 4" stainless Silverline system with the straight-through muffler. I'm pretty impressed with this system, other than it uses regular u-bolt style clamps rather than band clamps that won't crush the tubing. It is not a loud system but has a great sound and absolutely NO drone inside the cab at any load or RPM.

For the engine, he went with an Edge Mileage Max module. He isn't interested in big power, just good solid reliability and an increase in MPG's. The Mileage Max claims an extra 35 hp at the wheels and 7% increase in fuel mileage. It was easy as anything to hook up, just a couple simple plug-in connections.

Against my advice though, he does not have a set of gauges to monitor the vitals. He claims since he doesn't tow or haul anything, (i know. what the hell does he need a diesel truck for then?) he doesn't need them and the new intake and exhaust will more than keep up with the minimal amount of extra fuel the Edge is adding. Maybe he's right? Oh well. Not my concern.

So what did all this get him? So far, over a period of 2 months at his new residence in Concord, NH, he has gained a solid 3 mpg's in mixed driving and over 4 on the highway (hand calculated). The truck runs considerably stronger than it did in it's stock configuration and the Edge adds enough fuel for him to even get a puff of smoke when he leans into the go-pedal. I feel this is a solid return for the money he spent to obtain his goal. A good 25% increase in his everyday fuel mileage. Improved drivabilty. Good, mellow non-intrusive sound and a bit more power to pass all those Volvos and Subarus in his area. I think he did well.

Here's his truck so far, minus the exhaust:

Last edited by dieseldude03; 07-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by ProjectX
I guess this answers my question as well I was going to ask the same thing I am looking to get a 06 Dodge with a cummins myself hopefully by this winter. Question for anyone that is actually running a Smarty what kind of mpg gains should I expect to see?
Personally I haven't really seen much gain from my Smarty. Before the Smarty when I got the truck, the best I got was 18-18.5 hand calculated and all it has was an open exhaust. I then added an Edge Juice w/Attitude and didn't really see any change. I then bumped to the Smarty, and my mileage has stayed no better than 18.5. Now at the same time I went with the Smarty I bumped from stock tires to 35" and i'm seeing pretty much the same numbers. So maybe it is getting better mileage than it would with my tires.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

My '07 got overall 20.2mpg on a 120mile trip up into the mountains and back yesterday with a Smarty Jr. on SW2 (tow) default (rev 10.4, IIRC). That's basically unloaded with four people and 65 gallons of fuel (both tanks full to start). Refilled upon return to confirm hand calc'd mpg. Same basic truck as your bro's, QB, LB, 48RE. Has the cat deleted w/Aero muff, PSM intake mod and 35" tires.

Very impressed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best mod for MPG's?