5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 CR - How to check turbo?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 03 CR - How to check turbo?...

I am suspecting some issue with my turbo. I have 109k, 150 air dog, new injectors. It starts and runs good. But when I try to kick it down it has very little throttle response now. Also it blows lots of black smoke when I get on it. It has ran great in the past. I pulled the air tube off the front of the turbo, the turbo seems to turn smoothly, it is not stuck or rubbing or anything. It turn very smoothly. What else can I try to check it?...

Any other ideas what to check?...

I can make a appointment to take it in but like to do as much as I can myself.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

does it have any play in the wheel when you checked it? When mine started to go it was blowwing white smoke then i grab the center nut on the turbo and it had quite a bit of play in it

Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Play as in up and down side to side.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I'd suspect a boost leak.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

No play in it up and down or side to side. Good and tight.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I'm not trying to sound stupid but now that I look at this turbo set-up....what turns this system?...I mean...what makes it spin when it needs to?...It does not appear to have any electrical or mechanical part that drives it?...

I enjoy learning how these things work on my truck, I am not an expert but I am a good listener and make time for what is important to me.

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
I'd suspect a boost leak.
So how is a boost leak identified?
Can it be fixed?

Also, now that I am here on this turbo, what would anyone recomend if a person wanted to replace one of these?...I don't need anything crazy, just good quality. So far I have 150 air dog and 50hp upgraded injectors.

I am going to install a news exhaust system in the spring or early summer. Any suggestions?... My muffler is about shot.

Last edited by veggyoilkid; 02-18-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I would think if it was a boost leak you would hear it( air hissing) also check all of your hoses and make sure they are tight. Ones from your intercooler to turbo,intake horn to intercooler etc... I had one that had a hole in it but i could hear air hissing like crazy under throttle. Not sure about the 03 because i think they have a different wastegate than my 06, but i thought my wastegate was screwed upso that might be an option maybe???? do you have a boost gauge to see what you are getting for boost?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

no boost gauge.

thanks for the hints though, I'll see if I come up with anything you suggested.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTEI'm not trying to sound stupid but now that I look at this turbo set-up....what turns this system?...I mean...what makes it spin when it needs to?...It does not appear to have any electrical or mechanical part that drives it?...[/QUOTE]

The turbo is driven by the exhuast. The more fuel, the faster the flow, the faster the turbo spins and makes more boost.

I would check all of the rubber hoses from the turbo to the intake. Make sure the clamps are tight.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

https://www.dieselbombers.com/genera...urbo-work.html

Hey veggyoilkid try to click on this link found it in another posts it will tell you exactly how a turbocharger works. also keeps us updated on what you find out

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks alot guys, this is exactly why I like this site so much....
No I haven't fixed my truck yet, but now that I understand how the turbo works I can realistically look for what's wrong with my system. To me understanding my truck is a important as fixing something that is wrong.

Now, back to my truck to see what I can find! thanks guys....

No visible signs of air leak from loose clamps or damage to anything. All connections and hoses and air tubes look intact and in good condition.

I did find that I only have 1 of the three locking clips on the air filter cover. Could air leaking in around the cover cause this?...regardless I will find more clips and get that down good and tight.

Any other suggestions?...Maybe I need to test it with a boost gauge to see more?...

If so how expensive are they to purchase?...

Last edited by veggyoilkid; 02-19-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: 03 CR - How to check turbo?...