5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 CR - How to check turbo?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I highly recemend you install a set of guages, Boost, Pyrometer, Fuel Press and Trans Temp. Autometer has all kinds of guages with different styles and are very good quality. Auto Meter Look and find the style you want and then get on the price quate forum and ask the site sponsers for prices

The following users liked this post:
veggyoilkid (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Black smoke and low power are signs of not enough air to support combustion of the fuel. You mention new injectors. Are they stock or did you get "bigger" injectors for more power? If you went bigger, it's possible you are throwing more fuel than your stock turbo can keep up with.

Did you actually remove the boost hoses to inspect them? There's one running from the turbo to the inter-cooler and one from the inter-cooler (on the drivers side) to the cast-aluminum intake elbow. These can burst where you can't see them installed on the truck.

Another possibility is a leak in the inter-cooler, but these are rare for the '03's.

Dumb question, but have you checked the air filter. Don't trust that stupid little "filter minder" do-dad on the intake tube. It won't get to the red untill the filter is so plugged, it would be like a marathon runner breathing through a straw. ANY restriction in air flow is a downer for a diesel engine. Be it air getting TO the turbo, air going from the turbo tho the engine or the exhaust leaving the engine after combustion. Which is a reason why aftermarket intake systems and larger exhaust systems are so popular.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

This is why its vital to add guages to our trucks. Guages allow you to actually see whats going on. They are still useful even on a stock truck but more important when you start adding performance mods.

You very likely have a boost leak. Check all your intercooler clamps and the boots themselves for cuts or wear points.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

have you checked to see if you are throwin any codes with the key? might have a code but no check engine light... highly suggest gettin guages tho so you can futher see whats goin on like everyone is sayin

Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dragon Flow Industrial Injection, Salt Lake City Utah remanufactured injectors-503 SE 60HP

I did not take off each connection to inspection air system.
I did look at the air filter and I should replace it to make sure.
Or replace the whole filter system with a better upgrade....recommendations ???
My exhaust is still stock.

I have not had it in to see if it has any codes. Likely will do shortly. Trying the obvious simple things first.

I'm sitting here realizing that it's stupid to put in a new stock filter, if I am better off with a new upgraded filter set-up. Any suggestions?...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, I do really want to get some guages to watch this system, i know it's a good investment.

my 4 year old loves these guys and had add a few (:

Last edited by veggyoilkid; 02-20-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Now I suspect the injectors.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the air filter out and see how it works in a clean area only

Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

sorry not been able to get online for a week

I have tested the intercooler and all boots and connections. I removed the boot from the trubo charger and sealed it. I removed the boot from the intake and sealed it with a pipe and air valve. Added about 15lbs. of air pressure and it all held for over 20minutes. Truck does not blow excessive smoke when I get on it. It has in the past, but the last few weeks it is not. I'm suspecting it is not getting adaquate fuel. Just my thought. Plan to take it in next week and see if it has thrown any codes.

Any way to test the waste gate in the turbo charger?...

This air dog pump is cycling lots of extra fuel through the return line [ which it has been since new, mine is a 150 ], just seems to have plenty of supply to the injection pump.
Any how, any idea's to try would be apprreciated.

injectors are new as of sept 09

air filter I just changed to a new K&N oiled lifetime filter, so it should be great.

Seems to run well, until as an example I pull out to pass and get on it, just seems to be starving for fuel, very little smoke, just runs like your trying to pull the moon when you really try to kick it down.

My diesel mechanic said there is a pressure release valve on the fuel rail that has caused some problems, he has ordered one for me and I plan to have that replaced and computer diagnostic made when I can.

Last edited by veggyoilkid; 02-28-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Default update March 8

Talked to my guys at the shop today about my truck.
They were thinking it was the CP3 pump, but now they have found a leak in the fuel pressure that they are trying to find. They said they will look at the pick-up tubes to the injectors 1st and if they find nothing there they will pull the injectors and test them.

They have decent fuel pressure when starting but then quickly it falls off. The truck has still started and ran decent until you really get your foot into it, and it is just has nothing xtra to give you.

I'll post more as I get info.

forgot to mention they also replaced the pressure release valve on the fuel rail.

Last edited by veggyoilkid; 03-08-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

The injectors tested perfectly, all have worked flawlessly. So they conclude the connection betweeen the pick -up tubes and the injectors must be leaking pressure off this system. New pick tubes are being installed along with the injectors and they will fire it up and test it all again. Man...........I hate being without my truck....!!

Quick Reply: 03 CR - How to check turbo?...