5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Proper Antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
K50
Diesel Bomber
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy D
Whats wrong with the grren? I always thought it was better than the acidic crap, no crusty after mess, as long as you don't neglect it, I thought the green was fine.
x2 That's all I've ever seen 7.3L PSD's running...

Old 01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure if this helps or not (I'm new to both Cummins and Chrysler products), but my Land Cruiser coolant is a red coolant from the factory. If you mix green coolant with it, it makes a nice grey sludge that clogs radiators and water jackets. It's okay to use the green stuff, you just need to make sure that all of the red is flushed out very well. Mixing would be my only concern with special coolant types. Other than that, it's the water that cools, not the anti-freeze.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

See and I was told that the Red/Orange colored antifreeze was used in GM/Chevy vehicles for some specific purpose. I got slapped on the back of the hand when I bought the truck and I was driving it with the orange antifreeze in it so I changed it. But like Creeper said mixing is bad too from what I saw. I spilled some of the green on the orange and it made some nasty stuff, smelled funny too. Wouldn't want that to happen inside the truck.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Green = Propylene Glycol ????

Red/Orange = Ethylene Glycol ????

Is this right???

I used the Propylene Glycol in my non-diesel Suburban

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Proper Antifreeze?

Color can be misleading and is in no way a definite indicator of exactly what the stuff in an antifreeze jug might be.

You want G05. Zerex, or the expensive dealer Mopar stuff - same thing, but different colors.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have worked in and owned radiator shops, worked on a lot of cars as an ASE master mechanic, and also heavy equipment, I would not worry about the coolant type, you should be fine, however a lot of diesel engines can benefit from anti aluminum corrosion tablets ( often recommended by manuf. because of alum. radiator and heads or manifolds). The most important thing I have learned over the years is to change the coolant every 1 or 2 years, the coolant may look clean and test good for cold temps but turn acidic and start corroding alum. parts, regular flush and changes are a lot cheaper then a leaking rad or freeze plugs. I would rather by cheaper stuff and change it more often, your parts will last longer.

Last edited by gearbender427; 08-30-2011 at 02:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WILDBILL01 (07-14-2012)
Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by gearbender427
...however a lot of diesel engines can benefit from anti aluminum corrosion tablets ( often recommended by manuf. because of alum. radiator and heads or manifolds).
This is one reason why Chrysler (Dodge), Mercedes, Ford and others have spec'd G05 for many years now - excellent multi-metal protection characteristics. GM and some others been dawdling with different coolant specs (dexcool - yuk) and other flavor of the day stuff while good old glycol green and now G05 (HOAT) are the perennial, reliable coolants of choice.

Just put G05 in it like Mopar calls for and fuggedaboudit.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Like I mentioned earlier, take it back and make them change it to the right formula. They call for HOAT coolant only, so why not run it? It's almost like getting fuel from a station that sells it $1.50 less than across the street. One thing they didn't tell you is the fuel is really crappy. People don't mind, they saved $50 filling up. Soon your $5000 into injectors, fuel lines, CP3, fuel rail, filter housing, injector lines, and connecting tubes over a $50 savings at the pump.

Moral of the story, don't get cheap on maintenance. It'll end up costing you BIG in the long run.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Diesel Bomber

Dieseldude - the stuff they put in your truck is what's called a "dexclone." It probably won't hurt anything, but I would consider it a contaminant, simply on being mixed at least to some degree with the previous G05. At best it won't hurt and it definitely won't last as long as it should - take it back. Demand it be fully flushed and filled properly.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Color can be misleading and is in no way a definite indicator of exactly what the stuff in an antifreeze jug might be.

You want G05. Zerex, or the expensive dealer Mopar stuff - same thing, but different colors.
A BIG thanks on this, just got a msg from a friend stating the same thing. I suppose the Zerex G05 stuff can be had readily from the big box parts stores?? Or is that G05 OR Zerex?

In other words, is the G05 a type of Zerex or are G05 and Zerex two different things?? I suppose as long as the HOAT additive package is the same?

Quick Reply: Proper Antifreeze?