5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Most definitely could use some help here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most definitely could use some help here...

I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel runnin on 6 brand new OEM fuel injectors... While I'm driving maintaining a constant speed, my engine cuts out and sputters back to life after a couple of seconds. no check engine light but I have a code of P 0524, I went and wiggled wires by the trucks computer and erased the code to see if it would come back. It still cuts out frequently but now I have different codes which are P 2121 & P 2122. The origional P 0524 code is gone but now I have these codes and I still have the same problem of the engine cutting out and sputtering back to life as before..

I looked up all the codes earlier today and found out what all they mean but I dont really know where to begin. I had erased the 0254 code thinking that if it would come back I would have something to work with but now that is gone and has been replaced by the other codes so I dont know if 1 code triggered the other or not. My Oil Level in the engine is showing normal on the dipstick. My Oil Pressure gauge in the dash goes to 45-60 if the accelerator is pressed (which is normal) but if I let off the gas, it goes back down to around 23-35 which hasnt happened before. It almost always stayed right around the 45-60 range...

The entire truck has been running on Amsoil ever since I 1st bought the truck. The previous owner used it as well. I change my oil & oil filter every 10,000 miles or so.. I am just curious as to why its cutting out on me while driving..??

I am not the smartest tool in my pappy's shed when it comes to 5.9 Cummins Diesel, but I would most definitely appreciate any help and advice I can get... Thank You in advance!!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

First off is it still under warranty? If so have them diagnos it! At any rate take it back and have them look at it especially after that much work was done to it!! The oil pressure is normal. Are these codes active? First off clean your battery cable ends and battery posts. Check you throttle position sensor connections. Clean them! Sounds like the ECM is losing power but that's just a guess!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

here is the info on the 2121 and 2122 codes from dealerconnect

Vehicle Issue MIL, any combination of Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS or PPS) fault codes such as P2121, P2122, P2123, P2127, P2128. The engine may intermittently loose throttle response.;There has been recent repairs or modifications to the truck. The ECM was recently replaced or The ECM was recently re-programmed with an aftermarket 'downloader' device.
System or Component DTC / Error Message;Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS);Yes - Continuously
Recommendation
Verify the ECM is programmed with the correct calibration (displayed ECM part number). If the ECM is not calibrated to the correct part number, the ECM will have to be replaced and flashed with the correct calibration (ECM part number). Reference TSB 18-033-04.

Modification Date 01/31/08 2:06 PM

Vehicle Issue Mil On, Multiple Codes Set. Code P0341 Keeps Resetting, Engine Misfires Runs Rough And Is Noisy. Inspect The Engine Wire Harness.;Multiple fault codes related too, Water-in-fuel / APPS and Idle Validation / Fuel Rail Pressure / MAP sensor / CMP (camshaft) sensor / CKP (crankshaft) sensor have set a one time. P0341 keeps resetting after codes are cleared. Examples of codes that may set. P0341: CAMSHAFT POSITION (CMP) SENSOR SIGNAL. P0251: CP3 PUMP REGULATOR CONTROL. P0237: MAP SENSOR VOLTS TOO LOW. P0193: FUEL PRESS SENSOR VOLTS TOO HIGH. P2269: WATER IN FUEL. P2266: WATER IN FUEL (WIF) SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO LOW. P2127: LOW VOLTS AT THE THROTTLE VALIDATION SWITCH. P2121: APP VOLTS DO NOT AGREE WITH IDLE VALIDATION SIGNAL.
System or Component Engine Misfire,Engine Surge,Hesitation / Sag / Stumble,Lack of Power / Sluggish,Loses Power,Clatter,Knock,Rattle;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light,Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS),Cam Position Sensor (CMP),Manifold Absolute Sensor (MAP);Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously;Key on MAP Voltage Below 4.5 Volts,Cam Position Sensor (CMP)
Recommendation Inspect the A/C pressure transducer sensor five-volt supply wire for shorts to ground.

Modification Date 09/15/04 8:23 AM

Vehicle Issue Mil Light Is On. Code P2121 Sets Intermittently. Intermittent No Throttle Response.;Code p2121 is setting. No apps sensor or apps sensor wiring harness problems found.
System or Component Inoperative;Customer Concern (No DTCs),DTC / Error Message;Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light,Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS);Yes - Continuously
Recommendation Inspect for anything foreign under the throttle pedal. Check the throttle cable for any binding / possibly caught in power adjustable pedals.

Modification Date 07/15/04 9:51 AM

Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P2121 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Performance / Rationality
P2122 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Low
P0524 Oil Pressure Too Low
Read more: https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-li...#ixzz0bOdBAp1f
witch you have already looked them up...
I am really going to say that you have a wiring problem if you move them wires at the ECM
and you loose a code p0524..
Also I am not sure about Dodge trucks but on forklifts there is two oil sending units one is for the gauge and the other is for the computer... that maybe the reason your gauges is okay and the computer is reading a different pressure...
Also since "I am not the smartest tool in my pappy's shed when it comes to 5.9 Cummins Diesel" I would recommend that you take it to the dealer it may hurt the pocket book a little but it will stop you from having a heart attack...
YOU can sit here and toss money at the problem all day long its not going to get you anywhere...

but cover all the basic stuff first good fuel filter and your getting fuel. Do you have a Rail pressure gauge? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? They are two different gauges..

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Two notorious causes for this type of behaviour are one, the injector harness as it goes under the aluminum valve cover. The wires become grounded on the cover and the engine will cut out randomly. The other is the harness from your crank/cam sensors. Follow the harness as it goes over and around the ac compressor and bracket. The wires from that can fray and ground at random causing the behaviour you describe and a mess of codes that make no sense. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
WARRLORD (02-22-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

The 2003 trucks have a TSB on poor sealing connectors on the ECU causing corrosion to form and these exact symptoms. Either take it to a delaer and have them fix or pull the ECU connectors and clean them up to see if that changes the problems. If you pull on the main wiring harness on the ECU and things change thats yout problem point.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default similar problem....

I have an 03 CR and have experienced numerous times a complete shut down of the motor. It began while idling. Did this several times. Lately it has happened while driving. It always starts right up like normal, when I turn the key. I have 109k, new injectors, 150 air dog pump. Check engine light is not on. I have not had it to the dealership to check. The problem has always been infrequent. Once every few weeks or so.

Sounds, like my issues may be related?...

I would like to fix this issue. Afraid to let me wife get behind the wheel and have loss of power steering while barreling down the highway.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem with a and 88 chevy 350. It about drove me nuts checked every thing on the truck a kzillion times and accidently found the mechanic had missed the notch for the distributer wire and squeezed it between the cap and the distributor base. I suggest you check the wire where it enters under the valve cover and inside the valve cover to make sure it is not grounded somewhere.