5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Clunking and squeeking noise in front end

Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking and squeeking noise in front end

I have a clunking noise on the front drivers side. It happens when i turn the wheel either way and when i'm riding down the road just going straight i have a squeeking noise on the same side. I just put new brakes on and everything looking fine. I took it to the Dodge dealer here in MD and they said they can't find anything wrong with it, they said it was because of the big rotors on the truck!!! Has this happened to anyone else or do you know what it could be. My feeling is that it is a wheel bearing but i only have 50K on the truck

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Check the ujoints, they clunk and make wierd noises when they're shot.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

sounds like joints.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

outer u-joints just had mine replaced couple of months back because of the same thing. I would also look into replacing ball joints and stuff to while you are in there depending on how many miles you got on the truck to.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 AM

i only have 50K on the truck so do you guys think that it would prob be time to replace everything, if i have the money!!!!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Could also be a loose lower shock bolt...

FWIW, I had to change all my ujoints out by 75k...they were all bad.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Yup mine were junk at 80k and the balljoints were alright yet but I shoulda changed them but we ran outa time in the day. So everytime I rotate the tires I give them a good once over.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup i got alittle over 200k on my '03 and i have replaced u-joints and wheel bearings twice. passenger side tends to wear faster than the driver side

Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Front End Noise

I came across this site while researching a problem I'm having with my '05 Ram. Its a 3500 4x4 dually.

Recently its making an odd noise when turning. Its sounds like a rub or metal on metal sound that is intermitten. It doesn't matter if the brakes are applied or not. I had my son idle the truck while turning so that I could walk outside the truck to diagnose where the sound is coming from. It sounds like its coming from the left front hub. When I put my fingers on the center hub cap I could feel the vibration when the noise happened. It doesn't matter which way the wheels are turned for the noise to happen. And of course it doesn't make noise when the wheels are pointed straight.

This thread got me thinking that its the u-joint at the hub. I crawled up under there and I don't see a grease zert fitting.

I wish I could describe the sound better for you guys...

Any advice would be apprecated. Oh, and the truck has 89K on it for mileage. Hardly a lot for these trucks....

If it is the u-joint, is this a tough repair for the driveway?

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wardvwracer
I came across this site while researching a problem I'm having with my '05 Ram. Its a 3500 4x4 dually.

Recently its making an odd noise when turning. Its sounds like a rub or metal on metal sound that is intermitten. It doesn't matter if the brakes are applied or not. I had my son idle the truck while turning so that I could walk outside the truck to diagnose where the sound is coming from. It sounds like its coming from the left front hub. When I put my fingers on the center hub cap I could feel the vibration when the noise happened. It doesn't matter which way the wheels are turned for the noise to happen. And of course it doesn't make noise when the wheels are pointed straight.

This thread got me thinking that its the u-joint at the hub. I crawled up under there and I don't see a grease zert fitting.

I wish I could describe the sound better for you guys...

Any advice would be apprecated. Oh, and the truck has 89K on it for mileage. Hardly a lot for these trucks....

If it is the u-joint, is this a tough repair for the driveway?

Thanks for your help!
Its the u joint in the axle O'reilly's has percision brand and they are grease able its a pita to change the Wheel bearing is hard to get off sometimes. I ruined mine and bought two new ones from autozone Timken at $450 each you can find them cheaper in timken brand I was in need of my truck and couldn't wait two or three days.

Search this Thread