5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

no start condition on 06 3500

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start condition on 06 3500

Hi folks I'm new to this site hope someone can help.
I have an '06 3500 5.9 302,000 miles bone stock except 5" exhaust.
My problem started with hard starts and long crank times. once it started it ran perfect. seemed like once I got it started for the day it would fire every time during that day. when I let it sit overnight it would take a while to start. I would go through the priming procedure once or twice and it would fire. now just cranks.
- I'm not getting fuel past the cp3. (loosened fuel connection cranked it and nothing)
-lift pump is working. don't know the pressure hope to get advice on best gauges to buy.
-only code I got was p0111 IAT rationality
-disconnected/re connected FCA no change
- checked wiring connections (seem to be solid w/ no corrosion)
-changed crank and cam sensors (cam sensor sucked)
-tried disconnecting the fan clutch connection (heard that could be an issue) no change.
- re -torqued feed tube on # 3 and 4 injectors because I changed # 3 about 3 months ago and the #4 fuel line broke about a month ago. (had pressure then for sure) all was good until now.

hope someone can offer a next step.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

If you have fuel to the CP3 your CP3 has given up! I would also assume the injectors are done too! Be glad you made it that far!! But now it's time to pay up! If your funds are short a used unit from ebay and a set of injectors would be first choice! Try to get new injectors reman are just not reliable!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Diesel Fan

so I'm looking at a cp3 and injectors.? that sucks! no simple electrical magic I can do to fix it? I guess 4 k is better than 50 k+ for a new rig. hate dealerships and still love working on them. thanks for the advice. I kind of figured that was what I was looking at but needed to get some sort of confirmation. Thanks for the info. NO REMANS HERE ONLY NEW ****!

Old 11-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

New injectors will minimize the headaches that the remans will give you. Do it right the first time and you will have peace of mind that you can go another 300k.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:15 AM
Diesel Fan

Any recommendations on the cp3? The engine and transmission(rebuilt with HD torque converter 100K ago) on this truck is solid. been a reliable truck and feel that it has lots of life left. Plan on doing the job myself. Any special tools needed.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

If you want to get a better CP3 now is the time! Maybe get lucky and find someone selling a 60 over! You will need a steering wheel puller to pop the CP3 gear off! Big nut and washer DON'T drop the washer! Then pop the gear 3 nuts hold it inplace and the fuel lines and FCA plug and your done!
Injectors are a bit more complicated! First remove the fuel lines. Valve cover Rocker arm assy and hold down bolts. remove the feed tube lock nuts and wiggle the tubes out with a pair of pliers. Then use a pry bar to pop the injectors out. not much force needed!
Then I would borascope the cylinders just to take a look inside! Check edges of pistons and walls for scoring. Google the install and your done!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Diesel Fan

If I upgrade to a 60 over will I need different nozzles on my injectors? do they need to be "programmed" and would the added horsepower tax the older engine too much? What brand of CP3 is the best. The money to fix it is there (within reason) my biggest problem is the freakin Oklahoma weather. Thanks again for the advice. been a big help.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tenneyshoo
my biggest problem is the freakin Oklahoma weather.
Naw, how could that EVER be a problem. LMAO!!!

Have you tried getting it to start on starting fluid?

An upgraded CP-3 just flows more fuel, the injector nozzles can stay stock if you so desire. Without a tuner you won't see any difference in power, might gain some mileage though if it is running short of fuel. TC diesel has good prices and good quality products on CP-3's, from mild to wild. Where I am going for mine soon.

There is no need to program for nozzles if you stay within reason, 60 HP or less. No adjustment numbers either for a 5.9, that is a 6.7 thing. Assembly of the injectors with the choice of nozzles will make or break the efficacy, have to consider that when buying.

Many choices for injectors, new limits it a bit so as long as you specify new bodies then you have to decide how big the nozzles need to be. Go much past 60 HP nozzles and you will need to make other changes to increase air and do any towing, the larger nozzles also tend to mess wit the stock programming so would likely need something to compensate. A custom tune designed for your build will yield the best results, that will take Smarty or EFI.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Diesel Fan

tried starting fluid "carefully" with no difference while cranking. I actually loosened the high pressure output at the back of the CP3 and disconnected the FCA and fuel just dribbled out. pretty sure CP3 is toast.

I think I'm going to stay stock with everything and get new injectors for sure. all of the places I called locally seem to have reman CP3s as well as rock auto. I assume a quality reman CP3 would be fine while staying with new injectors.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get yourself some additional filtration too.
If you don't have a Mopar exhaust brake these will work.
Glacier Diesel Power | Diesel Truck and Tractor Parts | Dodge Ram Cummins Kubota | - Product List
A Baldwin PF7977 drop in fuel filter is 5 microns,exact fit and will give you 2 more microns of filtration also.