5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

What next?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

cumminscoalroller24/7 like said before get your tranny built. that is the first thing you should do. next get your AD or fass, AD has had some issues, so i would go with the fass 150. put the fuel pump in before you do injectors or nozzles so the filters will protect the injectors. then head studs are a good ideal and good insurance. you dont wanna do all that work and then blow a head gasket from more boost. then you can get your turbo. to get 800 hp you will need a decent size turbo which is gonna be rather slow spooling. i would just do compounds if i wanted 700-800hp. compounds will spool faster and you will be set up later on down the road if you want more power. after that take your edge out and play golf with it. they run hotter and efi live is the best you can get for a 2006 and newer. you are right on with the gauges. a cheaper way you could is, get an edge cts monitor and that monitors all those thing plus more. then you wont have to give up your handle if you planned on putting the gauges on your pillar.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar question. I bought my truck to haul livestock but it is also my daily highway driver. I've been slowly upgrading parts as they need replaced and $$ allows. I recently had the injectors go out and decided to upgrade a 100hp set. I know the next couple of items to add to the truck need to be head studs and a compound turbo setup as I have already found I build way too much boost and have high egt's when my right foot gets a little heavy. I backed out of the throttle at 43psi and 1500deg's at about 2300rpm's so I know it wanted to do more.

My question is what else do I need to be concerned with upgrading (after a turbo setup and head studs) when building more boost pressure (50-60 range)?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

if you have a stock turbo and you are pushing 43 psi, yes you will get high egts because you are pushing hot air into the engine. with the he351 (stock turbo) you are just pushing hot air when you exceed 35ish psi. also edge runs hot, so first thing i would do is get rid of that and get EFI live. actually first thing you should is get better fuel filtration to help save your injectors and make them last long, then get EFI live.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention I have an AirDog II setup as well on the truck. Changing to EFI and a compound turbo setup what would need to be done to the engine to support higher boost pressures (50-60psi) besides head studs? At what point would you consider changing the piston stroke or valve springs?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

stock valve springs are 60 lbs. if you are hitting 60 psi of boost, your DP will be higher then 60 psi, so at what point will the DP float a valve? i have read 72ish psi is when the valve will start to open, but i dont know that for a fact. if you set you wastegate correctly so your DP doesnt get too high, you will be fine with stock springs. i say put the 103# springs in just to be on the safe side, but thats your call. aside from springs and studs, nothing else you need to do. springs and studs arent actually needed. guys have ran that much boost on stock head bolts just fine. i say put in the studs and springs just for insurance.

Search this Thread