5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 47re trans trouble question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 03 47re trans trouble question.

I have an 03 2500 4x4 all stock excel a extreme power puck for now. I recently had to put a new motor in the truck days after I got it. PO (young army dummy) had an injector fail and continued to drive it till it melted number 1. It smoked like a train and he drove it like nothing was wrong. It has the 47re, I do not have OD the selector indicates OD on/off when the button is pressed, shifts through all gears, starts in 1st , really does everything it should as far as I can tell, locks up in 3rd. Before I spend the money and time to just throw solenoids in it, is there a way to confirm its not just a wire or other sensor. No engine light , only codes stored is intake air heater and battery temp. How should I attack this? Thanks guys hopefully someone is a trans wiz and will see this !

Old 06-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Does it lockout OD when you press the button?

The button is a momentary switch that tells the ECU to drop OD and tell the cluster controller to turn on the light on the dash. The problem could be anything from the button to the ECU to the cluster communications to a bad led on the cluster board.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by cerberus60
Does it lockout OD when you press the button?

The button is a momentary switch that tells the ECU to drop OD and tell the cluster controller to turn on the light on the dash. The problem could be anything from the button to the ECU to the cluster communications to a bad led on the cluster board.

I understand how it all works.... as well as how it "could be anything" with what I stated that the trans shows NO other symptoms other than no overdrive......... I was hoping that someone with knowledge in the trans department on how to trouble shoot the circuit to determine if it's a solenoid or in the wiring... I.E. voltage's on what # pin ?? What pin number should have a ground and whether or not the truck needs to be in park or drive to determine when the signals are sent.... the basic umbrella statement you through out there didn't provide a bit of insight to any of the questions, other than telling me my problem could be anywhere.... thanks for the unneeded statement but if you can help further with some trouble shooting procedures or circuit values that would be what I'm looking for. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Diesel Wrench

Pardon, did not realize you one of THOSE types. Since you don't want to clearly define what the problem is then not much help is available. You obviously don't know enough about the system works as you are here asking question on troubleshooting.

Here is what you do, go find someone with a scanner that can read what is really going on, p[ay him what he asks, and when he asks the same basic questions trying to clarify your inadequate description you can insult him and see if he will continue to help. At least he is getting paid to take abuse.

"Have a nice weekend" after insulting someone has to be the height of hypocrisy. I hope YOU do NOT have a good weekend.

Sheesh, some peoples kids.........

Old 06-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Diesel Fan

Pardon, did not realize you one of THOSE types. Since you don't want to clearly define what the problem is then not much help is available. You obviously don't know enough about the system works as you are here asking question on troubleshooting.

Here is what you do, go find someone with a scanner that can read what is really going on, p[ay him what he asks, and when he asks the same basic questions trying to clarify your inadequate description you can insult him and see if he will continue to help. At least he is getting paid to take abuse.

"Have a nice weekend" after insulting someone has to be the height of hypocrisy. I hope YOU do NOT have a good weekend.

Sheesh, some peoples kids.........
I'm sorry Mr grown up did i hurt your feeling for telling me I have a problem with my truck... clearly that is the issue as I stated the problem and also stated what did work and what didnt.... you asked a question that I already posted the answer to! You asked about the lock up, now go back to the first post. It says " IT LOCKS UP IN 3RD" don't get angry at me for simply pointing out the lack of reasoning for even posting ANYTHING in relation to answering my question on trouble shooting my issue. I'm not here to insult anyone but when people ask less than adequate question .... well you get less than adequate answers. I'm a certified heavy equipment/diesel mechanic I'm no dummy. Transmissions are different animals 95% of mechanics don't touch transmissions. I am one of them, I can trouble shoot and figure anything out with the guidance from one that knows. My weekend will be fantastic wether you wish it not to be or not. Sounds like I struck a little sensitive spot causing you to act like a child , and you want to call me a "kid" grow up buddy you can wish me bad all you want I'll still smile and pray for you and wish you the happiest and most fulfilling life you can have. God bless you I wish you the upmost happiness you can ever have. OK BACK TO THE TASK AND ACTUAL PROBLEM AT HAND. I'm looking for wire colors at the 8 pin and what the readings should be and what the procedure is to test to make sure I'm getting signals atleast to the trans. Thank you again and sorry for the irrelevance and mud that was scattered about. Please forgive me.

Last edited by Nu2cummins; 06-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Diesel Wrench

It has the 47re, I do not have OD the selector indicates OD on/off when the button is pressed, shifts through all gears, starts in 1st , really does everything it should as far as I can tell, locks up in 3rd.
Really? Maybe you should read your own posts and figure out what you really want to ask about. Your description makes it sound like OD is the issue, with activation and the lights on the dash. OD not LOCKUP as you are now ranting about.

I asked about OD not lockup because that is what your original post referenced. There is not mistake or inference on anything I asked, unlike your description that leaves a LOT to be inferred. READ the posts and shelve your attitude, you might actually get some answers that are relevant.

Obviously you and 95% of your friends should broaden your horizons a bit since you admittedly do not know transmissions. These units are so simple a LOT us rebuild them ourselves with excellent luck. YOU are here asking for help not the other way around so attitude doesn't fly. If I could make sense of what your problems are instead reading rants I can probably tell you right off where to look and how to troubleshoot, but, not inclined to do so if you want to sling mud and rant about random things.

A clear concise description of the problem, or perceived problem, would go along way towards clarifying what you really want. It remains unclear what, if anything, is wrong, or, even where to start.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Diesel Fan

Really? Maybe you should read your own posts and figure out what you really want to ask about. Your description makes it sound like OD is the issue, with activation and the lights on the dash. OD not LOCKUP as you are now ranting about.

I asked about OD not lockup because that is what your original post referenced. There is not mistake or inference on anything I asked, unlike your description that leaves a LOT to be inferred. READ the posts and shelve your attitude, you might actually get some answers that are relevant.

Obviously you and 95% of your friends should broaden your horizons a bit since you admittedly do not know transmissions. These units are so simple a LOT us rebuild them ourselves with excellent luck. YOU are here asking for help not the other way around so attitude doesn't fly. If I could make sense of what your problems are instead reading rants I can probably tell you right off where to look and how to troubleshoot, but, not inclined to do so if you want to sling mud and rant about random things.

A clear concise description of the problem, or perceived problem, would go along way towards clarifying what you really want. It remains unclear what, if anything, is wrong, or, even where to start.
Awww I'm so sorry I offended your little cult of friends..... it states that the truck works like it should with the only exception being it doesn't actually shift into OD.... as far as the 47re being simple to work on that doesn't discount the fact that this one trans can be SHELVED with every other auto trans that every mechanic in your little cult has broadened there horizons learning about. It's almost as if this is the high school forum.... oh I hurt your friends feeling so now let's all stick together and burn the guy at the stake! Grow up I'm not looking for the simple, obvious answers like ..... your problem could be anything..... or take it to a "real mechanic" that's a bit childish. Just because a few of you have had luck rebuilding your trans doesn't make you anymore or smarter of a mechanic than I. Just because I've always chose to let the guy who works and trans everyday do my trans work doesn't say or mean I'm not 100% capable. I applaud you for being able to rebuild your transmission that's worth like an award or something isn't it ..... ? Rebuilding something with instructions is far different than troubleshooting and diagnosing a problem. As you so put it the attitude can be shelved and taken elsewhere. I'm not here to have a pissing match with all you cyber homies, just looking for info that it has taken a detour from so that you guys can throw out how smart you are and how much smarter your group and friends are than mine. This Must be exactly what ALL the big name guys were talking about on this site and the less than adequate and immature children they got away from in exchange for a better community forum...... have a good one ladies I wish you all the best...