5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Bully dog triple pup out..smarty 06 in????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bully dog triple pup out..smarty 06 in????

Hello... This is my first time posting on this site but I've been reading it a lot lately. Here is everything in a nut shell. I have a 04.5 cummins with 320K on it. My goal is to get 500-550 at the wheels. This is what has been done so far. Complete transmission rebuild and up grade. Billet input shafts and up graded valve body , boost fooler , DPP cool hose and a cool power cold air intake kit. Also a 4in dyno max exhaust from the turbo back. next step is either a Fass or Air dog fuel system and then the question at hand. Leave in my Bully Dog or replace it with a smarty s06. Every thing else is original....The CP3 , injectors and turbo . I am open for thoughts, suggestions and feedback. This is a daily driver and pulls a 31 ft. Toy Hauler. Thanks.

Last edited by GenIII04.5; 05-26-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Welcome and congrats on getting that many miles out of your fuel system! your injectors are probably toast already but you just don't know it! "RETURN RATE" Start saving for the injectors and CP3 put on what ever fuel system you want as long as there is a 2 micron filter! IMO smarty is best for Cummins! Just remember you start adding power and that motor may say bye bye! Depends on how well the maintenance was kept up on it!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks! I bought the truck in 06 with 70K on it. I know this might stir things up a bit, but I have added diesel power service to all but a handful of tanks of fuel. I would like to believe it has helped with the life of the fuel system, or maybe it's because I drive 150 miles a day back and forth to work. I will probably do head studs this winter as an added safety measure.My plan is not to get to wild, just wake it up a bit and maybe have a little fun I also just added a set of pro comp traction bars

Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Hwy miles are easy on a motor if not towing! Additives don't hurt but filtration does!
Stock filtration doesn't come close to helping keep injectors alive! If and when you change out the injectors put a 2 micron before the CP3 and they will last a long time!
Watch out for the power bug! Once bitten there is no cure!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM

I truly appreciate your input and friendly advice. That's a pretty impressive list of up grades done on your truck. I hope you enjoy it and have fun. Yes the power bug is a nasty little creature but I'm hoping that I can keep it in check and still have fun

Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep running the additive. Your injectors will stay happy. The FASS isn't really "needed", especially if you have the stock in tank pump. What is needed, is better filtering. Cummins best, Glacier, Sinister, just to name a couple, offer additional filter options that are far more affordable. As far as programming, I'm a bit partial to my Triple Dog. If I'm making a change, I'd be looking at the Smarty Touch (plus it will read rail psi, giving accurate insight to the health of your CP3) and having custom programs built. No matter which direction you go w/ programming, your at a turning point. Empty, you can have some fun w/ the stock turbo by itself. However EGT's are still a issue. Towing takes a very tender right foot to keep EGT's below the 1300* - 1400* mark. One could consider a "little" more turbo but you will sacrifice driveability at some point and still will not have total EGT control. In your case, to obtain a "useable" 500-550 hp, "especially when towing", I would be looking for a stock / S475 compound turbo kit.
I talked with more vendors / manufactures / shops than I care to recall when I was trying to decide whether to go with compounds or a single. When talking w/ the ones advocating a single, literally the conversation would end when I pressed for EGT control and stock like driveability or as soon as it was known I live in AZ (it gets HOT and we have mountains).