5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

trashed injector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trashed injector?

First off using my phone for this I haven't quite figured out how to fill out signature on truck. 05 Dodge Cummins of course nv5600 built by Blumenthal's, Valair dual disc clutch, smarty JR tow tune. truck runs pretty well or it did, I won't brag about fuel economy I used to tell people they were full of it when they said they got this kind of fuel economy. My old 12 valve and my old Duramax fell far short of what this truck gets on fuel. my problem today is set the cruise at about 72 running east across Montana with about 4500 pound trailer, got to Rocker Montana for fuel pulled into the pump and noticed it was running real rough all of a sudden and white smoke out the tailpipe and the smoke was heavy fuel smell. holiday weekend I'm sitting across highway at hotel twiddling
thumbs till Tuesday morning. Seems to be classic symptoms of injector or more than one injector problem, question is I'm thinking about having towed back to Missoula to US Diesel Parts and wondering if anyone has any word about their service. Thanks everyone I hope your weekend is going well and please remember what Memorial Day is really about.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Man that blows! Yes you lost an injector! Nothing open or available locally your stuck! unless there is a diesel guy with an injector on the shelf near you that reads this forum!
The tow will kill you, need to tow both separately! Hopefully your near civilization and can find a shop locally. Replacing a bad injector is about half an hour work EASY fix!
Good luck! If you were in San Diego I'd have you back on the road Yesterday!
Post up a SOS on some of the diesel forum sites see if you get lucky!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Yeah it really bites, can't even run the truck down to the local Walmart for some excitement. Pretty much got a game plan, local truck rental place has a pickup truck rent for a couple days for a buck fifty, drop trailer in South Dakota so I don't have to worry about leaving it sit somewhere, then come back up here call AAA for a tow back to Missoula got the extended towing but will still cost but another 50 bucks. US Diesel parts have several different style of injectors available plus in stock. The shops that I looked at around here seem to be general repair not specialize in little diesel pickmeup trucks like the place in Missoula. Maybe just do the one that's bad and I can get home to ohio and pull in my brother's shop and replace the rest, great thing about that is I can pick up injectors and tubes for cost instead of paying retail. I'm really hoping I didn't burn or melt a hole in a piston. I really do appreciate your response, I hope you are enjoying your weekend and please do remember what Memorial Day is about, honor those that gave all for what they believe in.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Have a great memorial day Drink a beer give thanks and remember old friends! Been there and still kicking! Check your oil make sure it's not full of diesel! You got nothing but time so get that trailer back and call AAA great plan!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Diesel Fan

For got to mention the truck is 2005 Dodge Cummins with Common Rail. Odometer is 236,000. No mods except 5 inch exhaust. Edge CTS with Attitude. Everything else is stock.