5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

BBI for the masses

Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Default BBI for the masses

I’ve bought into the BBi program and now it is time jump in with both feet and see if they are real. I just want the best quality injector available for my Cummins

The more I read and hear about the efficiency and design of BBi injectors the more I am inclined to step up and try them on my 05. At this time I want to keep reasonable power for daily driving and towing as I am running a stock turbo and figure I have enough air for the low 400’s when towing heavy. The thoughts of twins entered my mind for the future after I save for them and I want to have a set of injectors suitable for a stock truck used to pull a trailer and have the same set of injectors be suitable for just over my possible goal of 700 horsepower if I am inclined at a later date. The primary objective for my choosing of the BBi stage 1’s is quality, reliability, and efficiency. What I have read and heard from people who run them, and what I have seen comparison wise along with common sense information provided about these injectors here on the forums have convinced me to try these.

Researching these injectors and learning a bit of information about who is actually behind BBI definitely makes the decision easier. BBi is bringing to the table information never shared with the general public before, not all of it of course but enough to definitely whet the appetite. While I am happy with the BMS 50’s I am running, I really want to see/hear/feel this difference they are describing. All the info to date says no hype to it. I’ve have a brand new shiny set of Stage 1 126 degree injectors and what is supposed to be the updated connector tubes sitting on my bench ready to go in this weekend.

But first I need something for comparisons that is not SOP, I think some dyno sheets and contribution percentages should prove one way or another the diferences. The BMS 50's have given me a boost in power and efficiency over stock, looking now to see what the real power is compared to my stock injector dyno runs. Then, in go the BBI's and back to the dyno.

Tomorrow morning I am going to Alternative Motorsports in OKC to baseline the current setup. For those of you that watch Street Outlaws this is Chuck's shop.

I have run the snot out of my truck for the last 4 weeks moving from Georgia to Oklahoma. Three trips grossing anywhere from 17-21k on the loads should have burned the soot and carbon out and this should be a good time to get some numbers for a baseline. I will post up the dyno results for a reference as soon as I get them.

Once I have the BBI's in back to Chucks and see what the numbers look like, then end of the month have one last trip to Georgia and back to get a feel for how they perform.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I'll be waiting for your input I'm about to buy a set too!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

It is worth noting, again, that when one is running a rail pressure gauge they can be plugged in backwards. When they are plugged in backwards many codes and weird reactions occur.

Once that little mis-step was cleared things fell right into line with the claims. These injectors are smooth right out of the box, I expect them to smooth out even more once I get some runnign time and solid towing on them. Scoped a couple cylinders looking for spray patterns and was quite dismayed at the amoutn of carbon build up on the pistons and even the tips. Granted, it has been DD'ed quite a bit in the last month or so but it was worked hard up until that point. There is a LOT of build up, much more than the stockers when I pulled them. Pretty sure thta was an is contributing to the enhanced noise when running. It is getting better the more it gets run and expect once I work it good and hard for a couple 1000 miles on it.

First thing we noted is the engine has smoothed out quite a bit at all rpms. The BMS's weren't bad but the BBI's are definitely smoother over all. Noise from the engine is also down, most noticeable at steady cruising speeds. The marketing is absolutely correct, no injector rattle at ALL! The BMS's were better thna stock but these are a LOT better than anything. This all probbaly contributes to the perception of quiet that was very noticeable.

A test run of the contirbution percentages confirmed they are tight on tolerances, no more thna 2% variance and those are all coming back to 100% frequently as the ECU cycles thru adjustments.

The injectors most decidedly flow much better than stock and quite a bit better than the BMS 50's. Smoke is controllable with right foot on tunes that were pretty clean before but one can really get some smoke in low\no boost conditions. Timing helps but there is definitely more fuel there. Reduce the tuning using a box tune or a UDC tune adn it cleans right up, all a matter of getting the fuel management right.

Anything over SW3 and the fuel pressure is a problem. SW5 wiul pul it hard on to 0 once you get rpms over 2500. SW3 is better but still pulling down way too far for comfort. These tunes were usable with stock and 50 HP injectors and only showed potential problems at WOT under a load. Even SW3 is pulling under where I want it now. At 250k it is time to upgrade the LP situation.

Have not gotten enough time to really test things out due nothing but severe weather at every turn. Will continue working on the tunes and how the truck responds. Have a long tow with some heavy loads to make as soon as I can get decent weather so that should help get things cleaned up and cleaned out. Will know a bit more about fuel efficiency also.

All in all the BBI Stage I's definitely live up to their billing, at least from the SOP meter stand point. Once I can get time to line up a dyno again will have some hard numbers for comparison. Someone asked if I was going to make other mods before dyno testing again. The answer is yes, but, after I get a reading from what to expect on stock LP. The comparison needs to take into accouunt what happens with stock and milder tunes and no LP upgrades. Thne, when I cna get time and funds this summer to do a FASS we will see if that will bring the HP back into line with the sotck numbers I did 5 years ago. I suspect even the 50's are hurting the final HP numbers and expect these might even drop it more. However, should see a jump in TQ to verify that the fuel is getting there with enough LP flow.

Stay tuned, will have more numbers and observations as time allows.

Search this Thread