5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

im not crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im not crazy

well guys the guys over at the cummmins forum thought i was nuts so here i am
i bought a 2005 dodge ram 3500 from my sisterinlaw it was her fathers truck he had recently been killed in a accident me and the wife bought his truck from her to get her out from under the loan on it it is a beautiful truck it was used for towing ciggerette boats in a past life and you uys know how well those guys take care of their rigs the interior is clean as a pin and the exterior is gorgous well when i went to go get it it had a rod knocking in it 526,000 on the odo btw
i pulled it onto the lowboy and drug it home unloaded it fine and shut it down the next day i start to move it up to the garage and #1 connecting rod decides it wants a vacation and goes out the side of the block so now im up crap creek i have no core to send to the machine shop and i dont have the 5 grand to spend on a shortblock +core charge so i get to looking around on e bay they are wanting anywhere from 1300 to 2500 for 12v engines 2500 to 4000 for 24v engines and 4000 to 9000 for 6.7l engines
so what is an old wrench supposed to do ive been working on engines since i was 10 when i replaced the water pump on my moms car been hooked on it ever since
so i get to looking around at other engines i could throw in the truck i dont want to put a gasser in it i mean who would so i got to surfing e bay and
found the new powerplant for my 2005 dodge ram 3500 an 8v71 detroit out of a firetruck for 700 dollars complete from fan to preasure plate im heading to st louis tomorow to pick it up

Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Your nuts! There's a reason it so cheap! Garbage motor no way to have any of the guages work horrible fuel mileage! There is no adapter for the tranny.
Where are you located?

Old 09-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that much displacement for that little horsepower? Dangerous couldnt be more right, sorry buddy but that idea is a little nutty!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM

i dont think 350 stock hp and 886ftpounds of torque stock is weak idk where your getting your info from as to the adaptor the bell housing is the same sae #1 as a cummins all i will have to do is get the right size pilot bushing or bearing and change the clutch disk these engines with the right setups can make over 1000 hp and 1500 ft pounds of torque also they make their hp at around 1200 rpm every downstroke is a power stroke these engines have been around since 1938 they ruled the road for over 50 years all before cat cummins and volvo were pipe dreams say what you will about them im following the old addage that their is no replacement for displacement
once i get it in the truck and running i plan to hop it up with twin turbos into the stock blower and bigger injectors if needed i plan on this being a work truck towing a 40 ft goosneck once i get the gearing right i should be ableto get around 25 to 30 mpg

Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Those trucks get 7 MPG on a down hill with a tail wind. But hey each his own keep us up to date on the swap I'll take your windowed motor! Careful adjusting that rack! Nothing scarier than a run away two stroke!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM

the only fuel consumption figures i can find are in pounds per bhphour gotta think the trucks that they were put in were massive the ladder truck it was in was well over 40 feet long i dont think i will have much trouble pulling around a 1 ton pickup with it it proably wont have to come up above idle verry much the sound and cool factor is what im going for im gonna love poping the hood at car shows showing off the polished valve covers and 871 blower these engines have a verry distinctive sound as well will sound awesome through some 6 or 8inch stacks

Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Diesel Fan

must be my bias kicking in, grew up riding with dad in an old brig that had one.. and honestly cant say i miss it or working under it, if ya know what i mean! be an 8V71T if its 350 horse, and yes there is potential but im not sure how much cheaper parts for them now are opposed to parts for your cummins i remember being told the first time i steered and geared ours to "slam my fingers in the door, it'll put you in the right frame of mind" but yes, if you got it all working it definitely would be unique and pretty dang cool!

Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once i get it in the truck and running i plan to hop it up with twin turbos into the stock blower and bigger injectors if needed i plan on this being a work truck towing a 40 ft goosneck once i get the gearing right i should be ableto get around 25 to 30 mpg[/QUOTE]

Ok, you are chasing a few problems, and I personally think you have the right idea once you get the truck running. I went with twins from Diesel Power Source as well as their manifolds. Thy sell multipiese manifolds so they shouldn't crack. My truck is more than driveable now and has been towing just about anything. my MPGs have gone up as well. the dude at dps said that their manifolds and parts in the turbos get better airflow slightly helping mpgs and def HP. do you know what chip you're running? any issues with injectors? I went through Goff.

Call Dps and ask for matt or I think brett. he told me exactly what I needed to do.

Last edited by boostlife; 09-29-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Diesel Fan

boostlife he is talking about putting an 8v71T in place of a 5.9, not exactly sure where a chip fits into an ol 2 cycle! cooterdude the only thing with the low rpms is that those old girls like to be wound out, i know your not grossing 80 thousand pounds or anything like it but, it just seems like a whole lot of work and money! i'm with dangerous and would absolutely love too see pictures of this, i remember seeing an f350 with a 453T once, and if you can make this sucker fit in there, and work, it'd be neat as hell!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

You are nuts and have no idea just what a POS and 8V-71 really is.

Noisy, under powered, fuel hogging, oil leaking piece of junk boat anchor. That is why you got it for $700, scrap price. This is 50's technology that is long dead and buried. Parts are an issue even if it worth fixing.

Doubt it will even fit in the engine aby and if it does it will just destroy the frame. The dry engine it self ways 2400 lbs, way to heavy for the truck.

The engine is totally gutless with any kind of load, bicycles pass it on on grades with ease.

When you get done, if it is even possible, you will have totally ruined a valuable truck and any hope of saleability.

Quick Reply: im not crazy