5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default injectors.

I have been reading about injector issues and failures all the time. Starting to worry i got 117000 miles on my truck, should i be saving up for new injectors? Do i need to replace the hole injector or the tip ? And what injectors do you recomend? If i go with a 90 hp injector what else am i going to have to do? Hey I told you guys I was a newbie and had alot of questions.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Get extra filters on ASAP and you will have much better luck with longevity. It is a well spent $200 and cheap compared to injectors.

If the injectors are worn you need new bodies, the tips will not help worn out injector internals. 90's are a lot of injector if you don't need them. The stock injector will net 600 HP with accompanying mods and not trip the leak detection DTC's.

There are few 90 HP injectors that are worth investing in. Do your homework about what you are getting when you buy.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for your help. I posted a question on another part of the forum about witch air dog i should need, 100 or the 150? i don't want to screw up the cp3 with too much lift pump, as the air dog people say that can happen, but if i tune up the smarty i should be close to 500 hp, and i want to dome more up grades as $ allows. i don't want to do turbo, injectors, modded cp3, then turn around and need the 150. Any ideas?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

First off, I would NOT go with AD. There rep the last year or so has not been good for longevity or CS. As many problems as FASS as had I think they fixed the issues that were plauging them.

If you are not looking for big power then the 150 pumps are over kill. Done correctly you should be good to the 500-600 HP with a 95 or 100 pump. I would go to Genos Garage and order the 95. Can't beat them for service and as long as you SEND IN the FASS REGISTRATION card they have been good about warranty. The biggest issues are from people that do not send in the registration.

Quite frankly, if they are telling you too much pressure will hurt a CP-3 go elsewhere cuz they are just looking for an excuse to void something. That rumour has gotten so much mileage from people looking for a way to get out of warranty it is not funny anymore. How a gera rotor pump handles pressure is not in question and neither is the internal regulation of pressure in a CP-3. At the end of the day, there is no solid evidence excessive pressure will hurt a CP-3. Nobody can define "excessive pressure" to a good enough degree to really see if it is harmful.

That said, when you do the AD\FASS system there are some things you really should do to make sure you do not have issues. Number one biggets thing if you live where it gets cold, make SURE you get the fuel heater and it works. Failing to do so will guarantee you will be walking or waiting for a wrecker at some point. Second, pull the stock cannister and get one with upsized suction lines and suction stand pipe. Your pump will lat a lot longer with that little addition. No draw straws and now stock size lines between the tank and pump.