5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Seeking MPG W/ Gear Vendor Overdrive...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seeking MPG W/ Gear Vendor Overdrive...

my rig is a 04 1/2 6 speed 2500 short bed quad cab with 4.10 gears...i have always joked about a gearvendor overdrive. has anyone used one of these with the 4.10's for the best of both worlds? i tow most every day and i do not think i would want to give up my 4.10's but i 60 mph is the mpg sweet spot and that is only 20-21 empty. i am looking to break 25 but maybe that is unattainable. please post any positive and negative real world experience.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

I would be interested in hearing some responses on this as well. My truck is a 01 3500 dually with 4:10's and I can tell you your mileage is better than mine!! But like you I have always wondered if it would be worth the extra cost of installing a overdrive. As fuel prices keep going up we are all looking to try and save a little

Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Bombardier
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

they dont help when towing. well at least I never use mine when towing. only once did I use it. I was towing about 24k behind me and wanted just a little more rpm. I locked out the stock O/D and used the G/V. it gave me a little more rpm and helped out some. when towing it would work the engine much harder. when in double overdrive my rpms drop alot. I go from about 2100 at 70 to 1900 at 80. it saved me some mpg's but I never tracked it real close. I dont use mine anymore since I rarely go on road trips now.

The following users liked this post:
Jazz (04-13-2008)
Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Diesel Fan

is it practical around town or would it be a pain to use? i figured long empty trips would be where it shines. i assume you have a auto tranny

Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Bombardier

I only use it on the highway. not real practical in town. at least with a stock overdrive trans. the guys with the three speeds could see use in town.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Diesel Fan

i am interested in seeing what the manual cats say. i can see an auto tranny being a pain to use.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of trying to get my money back from Gear Vendors. Here's a history of what you can expect from their product:

6/24/05 Purchase of Overdrive Kit from Gear Vendors Inc.

7/11/05 Drove from Yuma, AZ to El Cajon, CA for installation of Overdrive Kit at Gear Vendors Inc.

7/12/05 Installation of Overdrive Kit at Gear Vendors Inc. I noticed the foot switch was mounted in a very awkward position – next to the brake pedal where, with a natural resting foot position would consistently hit the switch. The dash switch was placed in a spot unable to be seen while driving.

8/22/05 While getting my transmission serviced in Arkansas, the transmission shop discovered and brought to my attention before they started work, the following problems: loose bolts on the transfer case, leaking fluid, and excess wire hanging down in loops. Properly torqued bolts would not come loose in less than a month.

9/08/05 Drove to Gear Vendors Inc. for reinstallation of foot switch – switch in wrong place. Transfer case was removed, resealed, refilled, and bolts were torqued correctly.

9/19/05 Control Box went out – a new box was mailed to me in Arizona.

11/14/05 Control Box went out – a new box was mailed to me in Arizona.
3/16/06 I drove to Gear Vendors Inc to have the overdrive system checked and serviced. The fluid was changed and the technician said the problems could be stemming from a computer glitch, but no diagnostics was run. I asked about getting a new unit and was told the problem doesn’t require that.

4/21/06 Control Box and Buffer unit went out. New Control Box and buffer were mailed to me in Arizona.

7/28/06 I drove to Gear Vendors Inc because the green light stayed on and there is a fluid leak in rear of unit - a new buffer was installed, the leak was considered normal. I asked about taking the entire system out and starting over with a new system in case there was a problem during the initial installation. I was told there is nothing wrong with the overdrive unit.

10/11/06 Solenoid went out – a new solenoid was mailed to me in Pennsylvania.

5/04/07 A Control Box and Buffer unit went out. Both items are being mailed to me in Arizona. Jeff said it could be a wiring harness that is causing the problems.

5/18/07 Called Gear Vendor to see why control boxes keep failing. They have not tested boxes to determine cause of failure.

5/25/07 Called Mike at Gear Vendors and was told boxes were tested but results were not handy.

5/30/07 Gear Vendor unit not working.

6/01/07 Mike at Gear Vendors, said he would mail wiring harness because that was probably the problem.

6/07/07 My father - living in Pennsylvania - called to inform me, he received a wiring harness from Gear Vendors. I talked to Jeff at gear Vendors to inform him they sent the wiring harness to the wrong address. Jeff made my fourth appointment to have the Gear Vendor unit repaired.

6/19/07 I drove to Gear Vendors Inc in El Cajon, CA again to repair the overdrive unit. Gear Vendors replaced the controller box but did not install the new wring harness they initially told me was the problem. I told Mike that my warranty was up and I had nothing but problems and I don’t understand why a new complete unit was not installed and he replied its not the unit and “don’t worry about the warranty, there is so much history”. He also could not answer why the control box failed.

4/08/08 The Gear Vendor overdrive unit did not work when I left for a trip.
4/13/08 I tried the overdrive unit on my way back from my trip and it did not work.

4/17/08 I called Mike at Gear Vendors Inc and he said it sounded like the solenoid went bad and took out the control box. He is sending a solenoid and control box to me in Arizona. He said my warranty was over, but because of the “history” he would warranty the items. I told him I would prefer to have the unit removed from my truck. He asked for my credit card number to pay for postage.

***** Within the described time frame, there were numerous calls to Gear Vendors Inc to diagnose a problem when the unit would not work, and through describing systems the unit was able to be operational.

On advice of legal counsel, concerning breach of expressed or implied warranty and breach of contract, I have the right to receive a refund on the overdrive unit plus the installation costs. I also want the overdrive unit removed from my truck and my truck put back to stock at a shop here in Yuma. You have been given more than reasonable opportunities to repair this overdrive unit. I have, at great considerable expense to myself, driven the hundreds of miles to your company multiple times, so you could replace and/or repair this expensive overdrive unit, with no satisfactory results. The overdrive unit does not work, nor has it worked reliably since installation. You have 14 days from receipt of this letter to respond to my request of a refund.

Copies of this letter are being sent to the Better Business Bureau and the California Consumer Affairs offices.

They are currently saying the unit is too old for a refund, but it never worked as advertised and they spent the whole two year warranty TRYING to get it to work. I would not buy one of these O/D. Way too much hassle. They keep telling me they can fix it. If you get one, I hope you get one that works. Because this is they you are treated when their product doesn't work. They also sent me more parts which I left in the boxes. Read their warranty because they will not pay labor even though the warranty says they will. Now I understand why labor isn't included.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Bombardier

WOW!!! I never had any problem with mine. but I didnt use all their electronics either. I just mounted a foot switch and hooked it direct. when I wanted it on I pushed it. sorry to hear about your misfortune. hope you get what you are looking for.