5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Newb questions about efi, trans ,cp3

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb questions about efi, trans ,cp3

Okay so I'm researching for future upgrades. I have an 06 common rail. Currently stock with an intake and currently doing exhaust. This is my DD but have a roommate that thinks his stock duraslow with efi live is just ungodly fast soooo I have to beat up on him. I do tow small trailers, boats, seadoos almost daily for work, then sometimes I pull a car trailer with my rock crawler. We do make trips to the drag strip every once in a while, and I'd like to try a truck pull one day. I'm sure my mods will get out of hand eventually so I might as well do it right the first time instead of going back and re-modding or re doing it.

I'm deft going to go efi live v2 eventually.
Gauges- would it make more sense to buy a set-up like edge cts monitor so I can monitor more than just boost pyro trans and fuel. Or is it better to just put gauges all over the place.
Or is monitoring all of that overkill if I have efi live and it's data logging for me. I don't know if its possible but I wouldn't be past putting a mini screen on the sun visor and running the efi live through a remote mounted computer drive.

Cp3- is the bag o parts worth doing or should I just go fass. I've seen a thread on here about modifying the internals yourself. Is this the same as the bag o parts or can I do both of these and make it pump even more. Or is that pushing my luck to far.

Trans- give me guidance. Say if I go for 500hp will I be okay with heavy duty internals, billet flex plate , valve body, and triple disc converter with a deep pan. Of course I'm going to run a bigger trans cooler.

Also is the bigger line upgrade going into the cp3 worth doing?

That's all for now

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I just now saw there is a performance section to the common rail. I will repost there. If a moderator could do away or lock this one. Sorry new to this forum.

Last edited by Rjhoward32006; 07-21-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 PM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I ran an edge for gauges for a while in mine in addition to a couple of boost gauges. I pulled all of the edge stuff out and replaced it with more autometer gauges. Having had both, I prefer individual gauges, But thats all in preference. Its good that you have a 500hp goal off the bat. You will be happy with efi live but getting your trans built to handle your goal should be towards the top of your things to do list.

My advice is unless you have unlimited cash flow, hit 500hp and leave it. It gets pretty expensive after that. Here's a good rule to follow... Fast, Reliable, Cheap pick two. Because you can't have all 3.