5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Losing boost and needing help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Losing boost and needing help

I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 with a smarty, cold air, and gauges. Just the normal add-ons. Last year on the way home from the beach while towing our camper back my EGTs reached 1400 three or four times causing my truck to overheat. I got home ok and never had anymore problems even during towing so I didn't worry with it. Almost a year later I towed my camper and EGTs climbed over 1400 again. I turned everything back to stock and climbed another hill. EGTs went up above 1200 and my boost gauge showed less than five. Needless to say I was only doing 45-50 mph by the time I reached the peak of the hill. I have checked to make sure I don't have any boost leakage. Don't have any codes being thrown. I have talked to a few people but want to ask more before replacing parts and guessing what it could be. Any suggestions/help would be so helpful.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Did you pressurize the system to be sure there are no leaks? With my Smarty on lvl 8 and towing my 32' gooseneck and pull truck prob 18k total I hit 1200 and thats about it. How smokey is it under load at 1400*?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get black smoke like crazy if I throttle down pretty hard not towing. So, I am getting some smoke with heavy/hard pulls. I wish I could leave my smarty on a high level while towing but I usually turn my smarty down to level three. I tested my truck during tow this week with everything to stock and not so good. By the time I reached the top i was below 50mph with only 5 pounds of boost but little to no smoke.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Any suggestions people?

Last edited by justinram; 06-27-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost