5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

What kind of programmer should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of programmer should I get?

Finally got my dream truck and I am going to be need a chip/programmer soon. Need to increase mileage ASAP it says I'm getting 12.5 mpg! Would like some input from some weathered cummins owners. I have a 07 with a 5.9l cummins. Also it came with dual exhaust that is obviously stock size piping and I think that is affecting the mpg too. I was looking at the banks six gun tuner. All input appreciated.

Last edited by Bhead1013; 06-23-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

EFI Live

Luke

Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Diesel Fan

I second the EFI live ain't nothing like it

Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2004.5 5.9 cummins with the banks 6gun. I run 37" tires and I get 20mpg in town and around 25ish on free way. the banks 6gun I like it. the banks Iq Banks Power | Banks iQ: Man-Machine Interface is great its big easy to use tons of options for gauges. but I a also have never ran anything diff. Also a intake would help. Good luck on your pick

Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan

If you want get great power out of efi just do simple mods like intake intake manifold, if you have an auto just put a single disk converter, upgraded valve body, and a shift kit, or if you hav a standard upgraded clutch, you'll make a great amount of power just off that. Hell even a small turbo like a 62 or 63 would be fine. Be fun to drive and get better Mpgs
I never noticed with my duals but people have said it doesn't get a great of mpg than a single would cause of the back pressure but that's just what I've heard

Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 AM

I have the same year/motor combo. I'm running a Diablosport Predator/Power Puck Combo. I have a 4"TBE and S&B CAI. For the $$, it's a good setup. On the Dyno, It made 407hp and 752tq on the extreme setting, not the extreme RKL setting (I wish I would've tried it!) but I can't complain. I'm going to move to EFI Live soon because I've got the itch to do some other mods as well, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. With my current setup, I'm at 17-18mpg's city 20-22hwy, hand calculated. You can't rely on the overhead display to be accurate. If you do get a tuner, I strongly recommend getting gauges to monitor what's going on. It all comes down to what you can afford but for our trucks, EFI seems to be getting the most attention now with Smarty 2nd.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by CSC5150
I have the same year/motor combo. I'm running a Diablosport Predator/Power Puck Combo. I have a 4"TBE and S&B CAI. For the $$, it's a good setup. On the Dyno, It made 407hp and 752tq on the extreme setting, not the extreme RKL setting (I wish I would've tried it!) but I can't complain. I'm going to move to EFI Live soon because I've got the itch to do some other mods as well, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. With my current setup, I'm at 17-18mpg's city 20-22hwy, hand calculated. You can't rely on the overhead display to be accurate. If you do get a tuner, I strongly recommend getting gauges to monitor what's going on. It all comes down to what you can afford but for our trucks, EFI seems to be getting the most attention now with Smarty 2nd.
Not trying to take over the thread here, but are you trying to do with your truck? performance wise? i would be able to set you in the right way for what you're wanting to do. I know I've been preaching about EFI, but its a whole different kind of tuning.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big5.9
Not trying to take over the thread here, but are you trying to do with your truck? performance wise? i would be able to set you in the right way for what you're wanting to do. I know I've been preaching about EFI, but its a whole different kind of tuning.
Nothing too major. I'm going to do EFI, a GDP Lift Pump with their extra filter setup and possibly some tranny work down the road. Maybe a turbo in the future as well. I'm not looking for competitions or bragging rights, I just want some extra power and reliability. I say that now....

Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Diesel Fan

why don't you do a dtt lift? little bit cheaper i believe. you want tranny work for sure, if you're just gonna put a turbo at most, i'd do at least converter, shift kit, and valve body. You'd be able to get a bigger tune and better power.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM

I looked at the DTT, did some comparisons, and had a good conversation with GDP. They answered all my questions super fast. I don't know if one's better than the other but that's going to be my direction. I'll do most of the mods myself but I'd like to find a good local tranny or diesel shop in MA. to do my tranny upgrades. It's crazy how fast this all adds up!

Quick Reply: What kind of programmer should I get?