5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New Guy Looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Looking for help

Hey everyone, new to the forum. To start off I'd like to go ahead and thank any of you who have any input and can help me. My situation as of now: I am currently driving a 2008 chevy gas pick up and have now found the truck of my dreams. Now it's not perfect, it's got seat stains, your average knicks and dings here and there, but it has already been leveled out with a 3 inch leveling kit and aftermarket wheels and tires plus it has the diesel engine I've been itching to have ever since I could drive. The 5.9 cummins. It is a 4x4 and the truck has appx 130k on it and the guy wants 22 thousand for it. I've never owned a diesel, so I am worried if that is too much for this vehicle. It NADA's around 20,500. Another big concern is 130k miles and I'd be the 3rd owner. That seems like a ton of miles to spend that much on it. My first truck, a 2003 dodge 1500 tried to crap at on me at 160k miles hence my 2008 chevrolet. Whether he is lying or not, I do not know, but he says he has never had any issues with it besides the a/c not working right as of now (needs to be recharged or there is a freon leak) and replacing all the brakes. There are no visible leaks around the engine or any of the differentials and drives fine besides tires rubbing. Is this year model prone to anything in particular? I am in all honesty wanting to buy this truck just for fun, I have no immediate need for a diesel, I may hall stuff every so often thats it. I just don't want to buy it and then have thousands of dollars of repair work have to be done to it. One last thing, what does the average oil change cost? Thoughts on the truck? Thank you all.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

And it is already straight piped from the turbo back. Don't know if that matters or not.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I've figured the oil change price after looking at various filters etc. For people with 35 inch tires, how many mpg do you get? I don't want to be blowing through 140 dollar tanks of diesel, that'll break my bank. I drive approximately 700-800 miles a month.

Last edited by TheTxAmerican; 06-09-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

First off, 22,000$ is a bit steep for a truck that has 130,000 miles, and you said it has some dents and dings.
Is the motor stock or has things been done to it?
Plus that is the third owner,you don't know the history of what the last two owners did to the truck do you?
And you can take the oil fill cap off while it's running to see if it has any blow by which can be an issue.
As for fuel milage, your not going to get big numbers due to the larger tires.
If you really want this truck, i'd try and talk the price down.
And if you know a good a good shop, take it to them and have them
do a through inspection on it and see if they find anything.
good luck.