5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Here's a shot in the dark.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Here's a shot in the dark.

I have the most ridiculous thing going on with my truck I hadn't really noticed it much but after my theft-alarm went off after opening the door when the truck was running I figured I'd come on here and see if anyone has ever experienced this before. It's pretty funny at times but this is what happens and its a few different things.... One thing that happens is when I unlock the truck (windshield wipers switch is off mind you) the windshield wipers will cycle one time and then shut off. Other things include truck will be completely unlocked and the second I open the door the truck alarm will go off (this is all intermittent and doesn't happen all the time) and it wont shut off by pushing the alarm button on the key fob. The only way it shuts off is when I shut the door and put the key in the ignition and cycle it to the on position. The other thing that happens is I will start my truck and this is only when I start it, and have the door open or open the door after I do this the alarm will go off and it will not shut off until I shut the truck down (closing the door doesn't fix this one) And when i re-start the truck it will be okay again (this is also intermittent). The final issue I experience is when I open the door the horn will go off for a second (when the vehicle is running) This one is the funny one because people look around wondering why I'm beeping my horn. This is also intermittent (only happens every now and then). Anyways anybody have any thoughts on this one... its got me stumped?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Diesel Fan

Maybe look into the neutral safety switch. I'm not sure about it but worth a look. Check all grounds to ensure they are not loose. Some of the other guys will probably have better ideas that me, but worth a shot. Mine with the truck in reverse with the door open will sound the horn, but I think this is a factory setting that happens.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I checked all the grounds, nothin.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Diesel Fan

Maybe start checking all of the relays that go to each one of the affected items. Check fuses maybe? I'm just trying to throw out ideas that I might check before taking it to someone. Maybe check some of the wires that are around the steering column going to windshield wipers and gear selector if you have an automatic. Also you could try having the computer looked at to see if something is off there. It sounds like all of you problems are mainly around the steering column area so might want to give that a look like I said earlier.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my truck does the same thing and what it is, the park saftey switch, when the park indicator dont light up around the "p" it sets off the alarm thinking you are jumping out of the truck while its moving,so the dealer tells me, and i have not done anything to fix it yet,i make sure the indicator is lite up before i get out.

The following users liked this post:
Diesel Addict101 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Hey that kinda makes sense haha I realized lately my indicator box hasnt completely been moving into park all the time I'll have to test that theory once... sounds like it could be the issue though!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Accidently stumbled upon the technical bulletin out for this particular problem. Happy that I did! EBSCO Publishing Service Selection Page

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

It would seem there is a reason behind the alarm to let you know your vehicle could potentially slip into reverse when your out of the vehicle. Due to a poor gear indication issue. I guess id rather hear an alarm then watch my truck back into something.

Last edited by Diesel Addict101; 12-12-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost