5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

07 5.9 CR w/ SMARTY 9, built tranny & NO OTHER MODS????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 5.9 CR w/ SMARTY 9, built tranny & NO OTHER MODS????

I found an 07 5.9 with a built auto tranny(still waiting to get details on what parts it has, but he said he spent over $4K), thats running a smarty level 9 tune with no other mods(cat removed, probably straight piped and lifted on 37's. Stock turbo, stock fuel system, stock intake....)... The guy does not know much about diesels, and bought it from his brother, but there is no EGT gauge, so Im a little worried some damage may have been done... The truck has just over 100k mi, and the tranny was built within the past year, so I doubt it has been dogged for too long, and it has not done any 1/4 mile or heavy towing...

How careful do I need to be buying a truck like this?(Other than this, Im ready to buy it)

Is there anything simple I can check to see if high EGTs have damaged anything?

If I buy the truck I will add a 4" or 5" turbo back ASAP, but what other mods should I consider? Im OK with dropping the tune down a few levels, as the truck will be my DD and dirt bike hauler, not a race truck...

And pardon my lack of knowledge on these CR cummins, I had a 12v 5.9 a while back, and have had a couple diesels, so I am famliar with the principals, just not with this tuner and this specific application, and I need to make a decision pretty quickly...

Thanks,
Cory

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smalltownspeed
I found an 07 5.9 with a built auto tranny(still waiting to get details on what parts it has, but he said he spent over $4K), thats running a smarty level 9 tune with no other mods(cat removed, probably straight piped and lifted on 37's. Stock turbo, stock fuel system, stock intake....)... The guy does not know much about diesels, and bought it from his brother, but there is no EGT gauge, so Im a little worried some damage may have been done... The truck has just over 100k mi, and the tranny was built within the past year, so I doubt it has been dogged for too long, and it has not done any 1/4 mile or heavy towing...

How careful do I need to be buying a truck like this?(Other than this, Im ready to buy it)

Is there anything simple I can check to see if high EGTs have damaged anything?

If I buy the truck I will add a 4" or 5" turbo back ASAP, but what other mods should I consider? Im OK with dropping the tune down a few levels, as the truck will be my DD and dirt bike hauler, not a race truck...

And pardon my lack of knowledge on these CR cummins, I had a 12v 5.9 a while back, and have had a couple diesels, so I am famliar with the principals, just not with this tuner and this specific application, and I need to make a decision pretty quickly...

Thanks,
Cory
You have to take into account how long hes been running that smarty, especially at level 9. When your that high your gonna want to be watching boost levels as well as EGTs. Chances of damaging anything arent probably all that great usually if you damage something you know you damaged it. Just as long as he kept up the general maintenance and wasnt that smarty ever since he got the truck. All depends on the price to though if hes trying to make a killing on it pricewise I would be a little sketched out on buying it. Also make sure he has some if not all of those receipts for the trans mods because anyone can say they dropped 4gs on a trans and your not gonna no unless you pop it open. Usually you dont even bring up any internal mods if you dont have the paper work to back them it isnt logical. Regardless depending on the longevity of that smarty in that truck it really puts a strain on stock parts yeah its safe to run that every maybe once in a blue moon but you really should be running a lift pump and injectors and an intake to be safe. But like I said I would base it off price and the way it runs if its mechanically sound and not insanely over priced it might be worth a gamble the first thing I would do though is tone down that smarty atleast until you get gauges. Gotta remember any of that electronic programming increases your risk of recking something its the risk you take. But you just gotta make the right choice when buying anything used. Goodluck with whatever happens though.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Stock truck on 9 is going to run out of fuel before anything gets hot All he did was waste fuel! Smoking was his #1 priority! Kid stuff! If the truck is 20k or less grab it! The most expensive upgrade has been done and now all you need to do is add the parts:
injectors,CP3,Turbo, Boost fooler,Lift pump,2 micron filter intake etc etc!! Have fun!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Diesel Fan

THANK YOU, thats good to hear.

Im getting the truck for right around the NADA clean trade in. Its over 20k, but its a SLT Mega-cab 4x4, so the price is right on it, and its clean too.

And Im sure this topic has been worn out, but since Im going to throw exhaust on it ASAP, is there any advantage to a 5" over a 4" on a truck thats not heavily modded?

There is a whole laundry list of things I want to do to it, but what order should I consider doing them in(I cant do it all at once)... #1 will be exhaust, probably followed by a cold air type intake(or I saw a guy selling a K&N localy pretty cheep). Gauges are high on the list too, but beyond that should I look at doing the new CP3, or the lift pump first? I want to address any reliability and efficency issues before I go for more performance.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Leave exhaust alone factory 4" is fine! Stay away from K&N bad for diesels.
Mods priority as follows: Gauges: Boost, Pyro, fuel pressure,rail pressure, trans temp and any others you prefer! Lift pump, 2 micron filter pre CP3 Cold air intake, and then your power mods: Injectors, Turbo, Boost fooler probably in first group! Lucky that the tranny was done and you have a smarty!!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanjs! I should be picking the truck up this Wednesday... Im looking foward it it!