5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help please

alright i like to think i am pretty mechanically inclined and know a bit about cars. However this is beyond my knowledge and i am stumped. so heres whats going on

I have a 2004 Ram Cummins 5.9L 4x4 it is the early 04 model before the 04.5 switch

i bought the truck stock and put on a 55/64 twin turbo setup. she was running good for about 3/4 weeks and then i was having issues with her starting hard and it would take some tapping on the gas pedal to get her to start then about a week later she stopped starting completely. i changed out the fuel filter and this fixed it for about a week and then again wouldnt start at all.

i talked to my local diesel shop and took them all 6 of my injectors and all 6 injectors turned out to have flow issues. so i bought brand new DTech injectors with 180hp nozzles. took them home and put them in and she still wouldnt start.

i called my diesel shop back and they told me that my stock in tank fuel pump couldnt push enough fuel to supply the injectors and thats probably what the problem was. so i went and got a Fass 150gph fuel pump and installed it..

i now have the fuel pump installed, brand new injectors and nozzles and my truck still wont start.

i hooked my obdII scanner up to her and the only codes were a map sensor code and an ambient air temp code. so i replaced the map sensor and she is still throwing both codes..

my diesel shop thought it might be my fca so i pulled it out and shook it and there was no rattle... put the new fca in and got everything hooked back up and she still wont start...

ive got the 3 key turn priming cycle every time and she still wont run... i cracked open the fuel line at the cp3 and the pump is getting fuel to the cp3

i cracked a line at the 3rd injector just behind the intake and she is getting fuel to the injectors

there is ZERO smoke coming from my exhaust no white or black

i am in the military and have had to leave my truck back home 3 times now and only get to come home every month or month and a half so she has been down now for about 5 months and i desperately need her back.

i have no idea what this could be. the truck is getting fuel and she turns over until it kills the batteries but she willl NOT fire up..

i was just going to take her to the shop by they are booked clean through the next week and im supposed to be back to base in 4 days

any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated

Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Hit it with a shot of ether or brake cleaner and see if it starts.

As a guess you still have flow problems with the injectors or cross over tubes.

Did you follow the correct procedure for installing injectors and cross over tubes?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not a common rail guy so not sure what the bleeding procedure is for your truck but on 24v injectors 1,3,&4 have to be bled and closed before starting. Check your oil see if you have fuel in it. If you crank it with injector lines cracked does fuel spray or just drip? I'm certainly no expert but with no smoke sounds like youre not getting enough rail pressure to pop the injectors.

Last edited by Bryce; 11-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Diesel Wrench

There is no bleeding procedure on a CR, the system self bleeds every time it starts.

Injectors do not pop from rail pressure, they are electrically activated by the ECU. However, the ECU won't fire the injectors until rail pressure meets a minimum of about 3000 psi.

No smoke on cranking means the injectors are not firing which means either no fuel to the rail or lack of rail pressure.

Using a starting fluid will spin the engine faster and get the rail pressure high enough to start if it is a bleed off problem in the fuel circuit. The cranking speed of 200 rpms is not enough at times to build rail pressure.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

With your mods a stock CP3 doesn't have a chance! I would call Todd at T&C Diesel and get a modded pump and a PRV in the mail asap! Google him!! This sounds like the PRV is shot!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Diesel Fan

tried starting it with ether and nothing she still wouldnt fire up

Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Diesel Wrench

Are you sure you did not leave a rag in the intake?

If it is not firing on some type of starting fluid nothing is getting into the cylinder or you have a major compression problem.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Diesel Fan

there is nothing in the intake

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

when i cracked the injector lines open and cranked it it was a drip not a spray

Last edited by durango_nick; 11-06-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I agree not starting on ether is bad news! It has no choice but to start and rattle on that unless you have no compression! OR the intake is plugged!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you checked compression? Did it try to hit at all with the ether? I read your other thread where you had a fault code for the crank sensor. Did you replace it? Can you check your rail pressure? With it just dripping it sounds like the cp3 is burned.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Only other thing I can think of is maybe the pressure limiting valve on the rail is stuck open. Have you tried starting it with the fca unpluged?

Last edited by Bryce; 11-06-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost