5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Hard start and now won't start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why is it that we can't or don't change just the tips?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took my truck a few weeks ago to a shop and they said 1 or more injectors was returning to much fuel, i didnt let them test which injector it was i`m planning on replacing them all.

replacing the tip alone wouldnt fix returning to much fuel, that fuel metering part is above the nozzle.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay, so what about changing just the injector bodies if the tips are good? Has anyone done this and what were the results?
I have no fuel pressure at start up but the truck runs like a swiss watch after it starts.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hoofdoctor
I'm in total denial that it's an injector problem "but" I have guy's on another site telling me not to even run her or I "will" blow the motor!

That's if an injector sticks open, not when they wear out...if its not smoking or filling the crankcase with fuel, it should not hurt anything to drive. Mine did the same thing (started getting the longer starts) then an injector hung open...when they hang open, the truck knocks like a rod broke and you blacken entire interstate highways. Right before all this, I started getting a lope when the truck went into high idle...it was about a week later the injector hung open, right when I was just about home, from a cross country trip.

This time of year, every year since the common rails were introduced; there is multiple threads about cold no starts, but starts with ether or after being plugged in. In almost every case, it was injectors.

I had Formula 1 Diesel Flux Is tips installed when my injectors let go...then had issues with the solenoid on one of the (old) injectors...finally replaced all of them with new sticks with the Flux I tips. If I owned a common rail today, and had injector issues; I would call one of the shops and have their tips installed on new bodies.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by hoofdoctor
Okay, so what about changing just the injector bodies if the tips are good? Has anyone done this and what were the results?

Its the tips that are bad, not the bodies...the bodies contain the solenoid, the tips are what control the fuel flow and spray pattern.

Last edited by steved; 11-16-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
hoofdoctor (11-16-2012)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI MY 2006 CUMMINS IS MY FIRST DEISEL I INHERITED MY DADS LIFE INSURANCE AND BOUGHT THIS TRUCK FROM A DEPUTY SHERIFF IT HAD MAJOR BLOW BYE IT BLEW AND IVE MANAGED TO REBUILD IT BYE THE BOOK I STARTED IT DROVE AROUND THE BLOCK SHUT IT OFFF CRANKED IT WELL IT SNOWED REAL GOOD HERE IN KENTUCKY AND I CANT GET IT STARTED AFTER IT MELTED ITS LIKE ITS TIGHT HARD TO TURN OVER IVE 18000 IN IT IM OUT OF MONEY

Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Chuck Hamm
HI MY 2006 CUMMINS IS MY FIRST DEISEL I INHERITED MY DADS LIFE INSURANCE AND BOUGHT THIS TRUCK FROM A DEPUTY SHERIFF IT HAD MAJOR BLOW BYE IT BLEW AND IVE MANAGED TO REBUILD IT BYE THE BOOK I STARTED IT DROVE AROUND THE BLOCK SHUT IT OFFF CRANKED IT WELL IT SNOWED REAL GOOD HERE IN KENTUCKY AND I CANT GET IT STARTED AFTER IT MELTED ITS LIKE ITS TIGHT HARD TO TURN OVER IVE 18000 IN IT IM OUT OF MONEY
Well that was a treat to read! Dude, loose the caps and use the period key! Just say'n!