5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

poor fuel economy after new injector install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Laugh poor fuel economy after new injector install.

id like ti start off by telling yall my truck is completely stock when it comes to the engin performance part except for the stock muffler mia and the new injectors i jus put in, with that being said here goes, i put a brand new set of industrial injection 60 horse dragonfly injectors in my truck about a month n half ago. n she runs beautifully but ive knoticed a huge droo in fuel economy, i used to get with the stocjers 17.9 city n 21 highway and about 610 miles to a full tank, now im seeing 13 city n about 15 highway n only round 370 moles to a full tank, i called industrial n they said it sounds like im not getting full fuel preasure at the fuel canister pump which would cause bad atomization of the fuel whichwould cause the need for more fuel put into the cylinders to move the truck. anyone agree with this or have ideas or facts andhow to fix this, i trust industrial id like to have more opinions b4 i start replacing parts

thanks guys

Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Id make sure you check and make sure you got fuel pressure, but when I replaced the injectors in my truck it didnt get the fuel milage it use to but after 800-1000 miles things got better, but do make sure you got good fuel pressure...

Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

New injector pump more fuel than worn out ones to start. Then bigger than stock will knock it down a little more. 10 mpg is really bad empty! Could it be your right foot is just loving the power more than you know? How much in town to freeway driving are you doing?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

[QUOTE=dangerous1965;942691]New injector pump more fuel than worn out ones to start. Then bigger than stock will knock it down a little more. 10 mpg is really bad empty! Could it be your right foot is just loving the power more than you kdoing?[/QUOTEnow? How much in town to freeway driving are you

i drive her like an old lady, i havnt knoticed a big increase in power which industrial said i wouldnt untill i get a programer cuz the truck dosent kno to push more fuel, they swear its low fuel preasure, wen i get on highway n set cruise at 70 n reset the lie-o-meter its will read 15. 7avg mpg, in the city avgbout 4045 mph itll read 13.1 mpg

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

where they complete bodys that you got or just nozzles?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued
where they complete bodys that you got or just nozzles?
they were complete, i didnt wanna mess around with changing nozzles or gettin em remand i just had them send me a new set of there dragonfly injectors. im not complaining about anything she runs great jus my mpg went down.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Did you put new tubes in at the same time? Leaking tubes would cause a low rail pressure issue and bad mileage. Also a worn cp3 would do the same thing. I would run a head return flow test.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 exhaust smoke

Hi,Definately the new guy, move if in the wrong place..brought here by the lack of mechanical knowledge& ability..Hoping someone could help me out with 03 3500 5.9 hotshot truck NOT HO has a transmitter instead of the chip. Got some smoke coming from exhaust at idle and when i give it pedal ,,,in nuetral also... i can smell the diesel ..not sure what color ,,it appears white, but i would expect dark with the diesel smell and i get the black soot on the r/r corner by the exhaust..guess i maybe 2nd guessing what i see..Dont think i have any diesel in the oil.. didnt really think to check for diesel.(do it in the morning as its not here).but oil level looked good today..wasnt obvious if oil is contaminated...tried injector cleaner.. filters changed regularly..truck has 165,000 miles..run up rpm's and the tach is smooth on the way down..so i am thinking its not a stuck injector...but dont know for sure
sorry if this already discussed. just short on time tonight..Thanks in advance
......ME!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued
Did you put new tubes in at the same time? Leaking tubes would cause a low rail pressure issue and bad mileage. Also a worn cp3 would do the same thing. I would run a head return flow test.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.
no i didnt put new tube in i left the stock ones, they told me i didnt need new ones. i would imagin that if the tubes were leaking i would be filling the crank case with fuel and would see the increase on the dip stick right??? which im not. i wouldnt disagree with the cp3 going out since i know im getting gear chatter from it. this isnt somthing that happend over night, the fuel economy went down right after i put the new injectors in. im not sure if it went down cuz of the bigger injectors with no programer or if i have a fuel pump problem. like i said b4 they swear its the lift pump going bad,

Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

i think you do have a fuel supply problem because typicaly we dont see any loss in milage from small nozzles like that and they run just fine without a programmer. i think you should start running some fuel system tests and i would start with a return flow test from the head because the tubes do not always leak into the crank case.

Quick Reply: poor fuel economy after new injector install.