Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Hey Folks, just joined today, wish I had done this long time ago. I've been told I should find a used ecm and try to see if problem goes away. I have had this in and out of shops, and the problem is still there. ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Default ??ECM?? 2003 dodge 3500

Hey Folks, just joined today, wish I had done this long time ago. I've been told I should find a used ecm and try to see if problem goes away. I have had this in and out of shops, and the problem is still there.

Truck is early 2003 Dodge 3500 with cummins 5.9l diesel..

Problem: Sometimes when I start the truck and start to drive, the rpm will go to 2000 rpms and not go any futher no matter what I do. I have to pull over, turn the engine off, wait about 20 - 30 seconds and start engine again, sometimes it takes and works fine, and others I will have to do it 2-3 times. There is no pattern what so ever as to when it will do this. Once it accelerates past 2000 rpms, it works fine until I turn the engine off, then all bets are off if it will hang or not. Any help will certainly be appreciated...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Diesel Bomber

Send a message via Skype™ to RanchhandTCR View Member's Albums

I would lean torwards that, do you have any kind of modifications and or programmers? if you have a programmer check it by disconnecting and see if it will continue to do it. If you could find someone with a really nice OBD II scanner with the dodge cabilities would be nice and run the truck and see what the ecm is reading out to all you sensors and so on.. Such as the snap on Varus Computer.. can we get a little more on you pick up because when it comes to ECM and PCM you have to get one that will work with everything. Tranny, Engine ECT... I belive or its just for PCM I can never get it staight

RanchhandTCR's Sig:1998.5 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve (Its A CUMMINS!) 3 inch straight pipe exhaust. Fuel, Trany, Boost/EGT Westach guages. DPS Exhaust manifold. Alaska PCM, 2008 Dodge rims fitted with Cooper S/T Maxx 26570R17. Bambi Basher, Rolling Arsenal. Colorado Cummins.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 PM

I do have a Smarty programmer.. if I unload the smarty, it will still do it. even sent the smarty back to a tech, and they put the latest updates in, and I still have the problem. The pcm has to be an exact match to truck, but not ecm. Does anyone know where I can get a desent used one?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Diesel Bomber

Send a message via Skype™ to RanchhandTCR View Member's Albums

Originally Posted by smokindually View Post
I do have a Smarty programmer.. if I unload the smarty, it will still do it. even sent the smarty back to a tech, and they put the latest updates in, and I still have the problem. The pcm has to be an exact match to truck, but not ecm. Does anyone know where I can get a desent used one?
Maybe ebay other than that I dunno maybe the junkyards... or steal a friends for a bit.

submit to reddit