24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

white/gray smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white/gray smoke

Ok... i have a 2001 5.9, pretty much stock other than five inch stainless exhaust with a seven inch tip and an edge juice with attitude CTS, and a stock auto trans with shift kit, (built trans coming soon). I bought the truck in December 2011 with 103xxx miles. I added the CTS in late april with roughly 113xxx miles. I have loved the programmer since the very start, and still do. The truck never smoked without the cts, and it smoked black incrementally with each power level (quite a decent amount for stock injectors on level 5). I generally ran it on level 1 and would turn it up to five whenever i was feeling froggy. The sunday night before memorials day i ran it all night (10 hours) on level five and i was getting on it all night, i mean really diving it hard. Well last Friday i noticed that it started smoking more of a gray color at times, but it would still smoke black more often than not. Well now on each power level it smokes black at the start of the low boost smoke, and turns gray as i build boost, and eventually turns white. It still smokes mostly white at level five when i'm getting on it pretty well. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge the white/gray smoke is either from a lean condition or coolant. Today i checked my coolant and it hasn't dropped a bit so i do not think i blew a head gasket. I am running a completely stock fuel system. The only lift pump psi gauge i have is the one on the cts which i monitor constantly. At idle it is only at 9 psi and during light acceleration it is at 4-6 psi and during full throttle conditions it is at 0 psi. I didn't think that this was quite accurate because it runs perfect no matter the throttle position. I have changed the fuel filter not long after installing the cts, and it didn't seem to change anything. I was looking for some insight as to what may be causing the white to gray smoke. By running the cts on five with the stock lift pump do you think i damaged my injection pump, or do i have an injector going bad? I plan on buying an air dog 150 gpm lift pump soon, do you think my cts will read higher psi? and do you think that may fix the white/gray smoke?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cody at sunny slope
At idle it is only at 9 psi and during light acceleration it is at 4-6 psi and during full throttle conditions it is at 0 psi. I didn't think that this was quite accurate because it runs perfect no matter the throttle position.
I bet that's pretty much right on... slowly smoking your injection pump. Scan it for codes.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Are the PSI readings you gave me off of a cts or a manual gauge? i just scanned for codes and had none, im not disputing your diagnosis, but if my vp44 was having some serious problems wouldnt i set some misfire or lean codes? and wouldnt i notice some driveability issues? im sure it is my vp44 running out of fuel, i cant think of any other problems that may be causing this symptom. i just sold my car and i plan on using the money for a trans and a lift pump, do you think when i put an air dog 150 on that i may notice the white/gray smoke go away or is that too much to wish for? and do you think i should be fine running the cts on level 1 if i drive it very nicely for a bit until i install the air dog?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

im sorry im new here i realize now that you didnt give me psi readings those were mine ... disregard that part

Last edited by cody at sunny slope; 06-05-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Your vp could already be smoked at this point, not all vp problems throw codes

Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Diesel Fan

What do you suggest for diagnosis?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Could be a bad injector, what did you scan codes with? Do the airdog either way, you're going to need it irregardless of what this issue is but I'd be surprised if it fixed it for you. Def leave the juice on level 1 because even 9psi @ idle would make me cringe if that were my truck.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Diesel Fan

ok well thanks everyone, i will update when i figure something out. but once again does anybody have any suggestions as far as diagnosis goes?