24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

leaking front crank seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking front crank seal

finally narrowed my oil leak to the crank seal on front of timing gear cover, gonna take off front bumper and radiator and all the other stuff to get good access, Does any one the best deal on a gasket kit for this repair, I don't know if i need the speedy sleeve or the KDP repair or not. How could I check if I need these parts or not, I would like to have all parts ready when I tackle this job to minimize down time

Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Wow, your going deep... it can be done easily with all that left in place but its obviously up to you. When you have the cover off it shouldnt need a tab but you will be able to tell right away and ou can make one yourself so save the money. Speedi sleeve shouldnt be needed either. I never had to use one yet

Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I just replaced mine on my '01, 333,000kms(205,000miles) on it, no need for a speedy sleeve. I don't believe you need a gasket either, just RTV or a similar silicone product.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

I've had better luck with a legit seal myself, rtv makes a damn mess when your trying to hold on it and postion it in place

Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Gasket and seal kit is 40 sum bucks at napa, loctite the gear housing bolts while you're in there.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
RAW
Administrator

I've had better luck with a legit seal myself, rtv makes a damn mess when your trying to hold on it and postion it in place
My cover had silicone on it, so I assumed that was they way they were. I bought a kit for the front cover, and go a front crank seal and housing gasket. Figured that was all that was used for hard parts, and silicone for the tin cover.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWilliams
My cover had silicone on it, so I assumed that was they way they were. I bought a kit for the front cover, and go a front crank seal and housing gasket. Figured that was all that was used for hard parts, and silicone for the tin cover.
I don't think they even sell a gasket for the 24 valve anymore. Cummins parts guy said they use RTV now and the right kind works better than run of the mill. Cummins had it in stock when I did mine. I have no oil leaks anywhere after doing the vacuum pump reseal also. I tabbed the dowel pin even though the case on mine was stepped since it appeared like it could move out far enough to fall out. Plenty easy to do so why not.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler
Wow, your going deep... it can be done easily with all that left in place but its obviously up to you. When you have the cover off it shouldnt need a tab but you will be able to tell right away and ou can make one yourself so save the money. Speedi sleeve shouldnt be needed either. I never had to use one yet

that what I needed to hear, didn't know how hard it would be with radiator still in, so i will give it a try, as far as the speedi sleeve, is that just an alignment tool? I take it that the seal is pressed in the cover, since my cover will be off it shouldn't be to hard to get it in straight,

Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
RAW
Administrator

The seal is pressed into the cover, then the cover and seal are installed at the same time. At least that's how I did mine. They come with a tapered sleeve that allows the seal to be installed more easily.

A speedi sleeve is a very thin sleeve that goes around the crankshaft where the seal rides. They come with an install tool.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

You don't need a speedi sleeve unless there's a groove in the crank from the old seal.

Quick Reply: leaking front crank seal