24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

02 24 valve Cummins - how to modify for mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 02 24 valve Cummins - how to modify for mileage

I have an 02 24 valve 4WD extended cab, 265 size tires, auto trans. Truck is 100% stock, it gets average 15.8 mpg combined city / highway / summer / winter driving - when empty. Great truck, good mileage too. I don't need more power to tow but I'm considering investing in a tuner, etc to possibly squeak more mileage out when I am running around empty, which is 70% of the time. I'm considering the edge. People say on level 5 mileages improves quite a bit.

My questions are: what is the correct (safe) way to go about modifying the truck. There has to more than just plugging in that tuner to do this safely. Sounds as if gauges are a no-brainer, first. Then I read about modifying / upgrading the fuel pump as a second step - is this correct or necessary? Some people say injectors too. What about the trans, does that need to be modified as well? What is the best bang for the buck in terms of modifications for safe, reliable increased fuel mileage?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Safe way on a VP44 truck.
#1-Gauges, fuel pressure at a minimum. If lift pressure is low, get ready for a $1000+ bill for an injection pump

#2-Aftermarket lift pump, FASS or AirDog. How big of a pump depends on how much power you want down the road.

#3-Cold air intake and free flow exhaust

#4-Tuner. For mileage and a little more giddy-up, I'd go with a Smarty.

#5-Injectors and/or Turbo

If you have an automatic transmission, it's a good idea to keep the HP low on a stock unit. A 50HP tuner/chip is enough to take the stock trans out. If it's a standard, you in better shape. Throw a good clutch at it and your practically done. Auto on the other hand, $3000+ to build it up to hold the torque. Minimum upgrades for an auto are torque converter and valve body. It wouldn't hurt to check the condition of your current auto (if equipped) and do the usual maintenance on it. Change the oil and adjust the bands.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thank you...great info. A few questions.

Any recommendations on the size of the aftermarket lift pump?
I'm not looking for major amount of power, just mainly fuel mileage.
But if the cost is not that different to upgrade to a pretty large pump, i may consider it.

Any recommendations (or any brands to avoid) on the cold air intake or exhaust?
I don't want anything droning loudly for any long trips, if you know what I mean.

Do you prefer the Smarty over the edge because of the many options it gives you? 1 - 10, adjusts boost, timing, fuel. Then there's that CaTCHER mode too - sounds impressive to me, but just wanted to know your reasons.

Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

You'd be fine with a fass 90 or airdog/raptor 100 gph pump... 4" turbo back exhaust with a muffler, for intakes s&b and afe are popular for dry filters, and get the edge juice with attitude so you don't need to buy analog gauges to monitor all the goings-on... and alot of guys getting good mileage seem to be running the bosch rv275 injectors

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 PM
RAW
Administrator

Thank you...great info. A few questions.

Any recommendations on the size of the aftermarket lift pump?
I'm not looking for major amount of power, just mainly fuel mileage.
But if the cost is not that different to upgrade to a pretty large pump, i may consider it.
Yep, a 90 or 100 GPH will be sufficient for a mileage truck. Personally I'd get a FASS Platinum95. Comes with one filter and lots of flow for your needs. I have had my FASS for 3 years without any problems.
Fass - Fuel Air Separation System

Any recommendations (or any brands to avoid) on the cold air intake or exhaust?
I don't want anything droning loudly for any long trips, if you know what I mean.
Nothing really to avoid. I would go for a dry filter though. Easier maintenance, easy to keep a spare, cleaner, just all round better IMO. I like Flo-Pro for exhaust systems, mostly because they are made locally to me. Nothing wrong with MBRP, Diamond Eye, or other brands though. Go 4" with a muffler and a tip. If the end of the tip is outside the body of the truck, it will reduce drone the most that way.

Do you prefer the Smarty over the edge because of the many options it gives you? 1 - 10, adjusts boost, timing, fuel. Then there's that CaTCHER mode too - sounds impressive to me, but just wanted to know your reasons.
I recommend a Smarty as it is only about a 65HP gain. The mileage mode is excellent to drive on, and still adds some get-up-and-go. Although it doesn't have gauges, it can read and clear codes, correct the speedometer, and add high idle capabilities for quicker warm ups.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

depending on your gear ratio I installed a ats copilot to lock up my torque converter earlier,then went on to install a gearvendors overdrive ( I have 4.10's). I finnally went on a small trip last fri,got 23 mi per gallon@ 75 mph,1800 rpms I too want milage, The other advise posted is the way to go

Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

You guys are alright - lots of great info. I thank you again. One last question - does anyone have any experience with any of the Banks products? They seem to have good well known name and impressive results. They seem pricey though - the power pack was a couple thousand bucks. Then again - it seems as if is pretty much complete from intake to exhaust. Please weigh in if you have an opinion - good or bad. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
RAW
Administrator

Banks? Not for a VP44 truck, IMO. To me, they are good at gas and newer diesels, but are easily beat by others for this type of truck.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a banks Big Hoss tuner on my 24v and barely noticed it was on there. Edge products are alot better for the 24v. That or Smarty but Edge comes with built in gauges. The Banks products on the 24v arent that great. They are good on the Common Rail Cummins but not ours.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done adding a turbo exhaust manifold intake manifold 75 hp injectors hoping to get my mileage over 20mpg I have had six dodge cummins that got over 20mpg but this 02 is a struggle its becoming personal now with the money I've put in it. I haven't had these upgrades in but a week or two so not sure what i'm getting yet, but the truck does move down the road better.

Quick Reply: 02 24 valve Cummins - how to modify for mileage