Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

hay guys, how bad will it effect my truck if i take my grid heater off. i live in colorado so it can get pritty cold but the truck is always in a garage and i allow it to warm up before i drive it.... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums View Member's Youtube Account

Default grid heater take off

hay guys, how bad will it effect my truck if i take my grid heater off. i live in colorado so it can get pritty cold but the truck is always in a garage and i allow it to warm up before i drive it.

holset cummins's Sig:99 dodge 2500, 99,000 miles, edge juice with attitude hot unlock,DAP 75hp injectors, fass 150 with beans diesel sump, 5'' exhaust, built trans, custom built water meth kit.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

Whats your reason for taking it out? I just dont see a benefit taking it out, but thats just me.

Devon527's Sig:99 Dodge Cummins 4x4 5 Speed. 125hp Injectors, Edge Comp programmer w/ Hot Unlock, FASS 150gph, Banks High ram, AFE intake, 4" exhaust.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums View Member's Youtube Account

i tapped a boost lead on a grid delete and i was going to stick it on my truck but i just wanted to know how bad it would effect my truck but i watched some videos on u tube and it lookes to be ok. but i was also wondering if i need to do anything when i take it off besides take those two wires and the ground wire off and if it will through a code?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Vic3bros

it will not throw a code.
And i would just tap the manifold, pretty easy to do also, then you don't have to worry about cold starts.

Cummins2000's Sig:2000 Dodge Cummins Raptor 100, fuel module upgrade, BHAF
1990 VW Jetta 1.6 Naturally aspirated
Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 AM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Just remove the main cable from the solenoids to the heaters.

wildbill's Sig:
2006 Ram Cummins
"RAMPAGE"

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

The modifications to your truck don't really support the need to delete your grid heater. If your simply dong it for he reason that they don't work, tape up the power leads at the heater. If you feel then need, buy a grid heater delete as well. It will flow slightly better, but doubtful you will notice the difference. Our sponsors can help you out with the hardware.

RAW's Sig:2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK

SOLD: 2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by holset cummins View Post
i tapped a boost lead on a grid delete and i was going to stick it on my truck but i just wanted to know how bad it would effect my truck but i watched some videos on u tube and it lookes to be ok. but i was also wondering if i need to do anything when i take it off besides take those two wires and the ground wire off and if it will through a code?
what is a boost lead??
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

I think he drilled and tapped a hole to put a boost gauge fitting in.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director

Send a message via Yahoo to DieselWeasel View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

It is a nightmare to start a non grid heater truck if she isnt plugged in... My heater solenoids went to poop and needed replaced. Here in Ohio it gets cold, not sure how it compares to Colorado, but probably the same. It was a PAIN to start my truck after work. A few times when it was blistering cold i didnt think she was going to go. Not worth the risk because if the batteries get low one day you may not have enough juice to get her to fire!
I have quite a few more mods then you and still wouldnt get rid of my grid heaters. They are just fins in the intake. They dont restrict as much air as you would think!

DieselWeasel's Sig:DieselWeasel
1999 Ram 2500 Sport CTD
= AirDog 150, Quadzilla ADR w/ Pulse, Straight Exhaust, K&N Intake, Head O-Ringed, ARP Head Studs, 135hp Injectors, ATS 3 Piece Exhaust Manifold, BD Flex Plate, Sonnax Billet Servos & Accumulator, PATC Billet 3x Converter w/ Billet Piston & Billet Steel Stator, Red Power Pack/Kolene's, TCS Billet Input Shaft, TCS Strut, TransGo Shift Kit, Carbon Fiber Rigid Band, Billet Anchor
1985 Pontiac Fiero GTP = Supercharged 3800 Series II Swap - Sold
Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Status: Lost my best friend Macintosh 4-16-12 he is now buried in the front yard

The grid heater delete does nothing for power. a buddy of mine on his 12v did 1000 on diesel only through his grid heater. my truck always had grid heater too when it made 683

01quadcab's Sig:01 edge drag comp, fass 150 with vulcan big line kit,amsoil front to back,custom cold air intake with s&b filter with compounds and trans by Jefferson State Diesel 683hp vp truck. 11.91 1/4 http://jeffersonstatediesel.com Now back stock. 95 f350 crew cab fummins in the works. 12v 215 pump 4k, towing cam, compound turbos, ddp 90's, billet 47rh, Spec Rite triple disc converter. getting close to being done

submit to reddit