Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I had high speed (50 mph or >) power loss when accelerating.....it surged or cut out. I replaced the pressure sensor. I now have a whine at turbo spool up. It still surges but its probably less. I rigged a pressure tester and checked for ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Default power loss and turbo whine

I had high speed (50 mph or >) power loss when accelerating.....it surged or cut out. I replaced the pressure sensor. I now have a whine at turbo spool up. It still surges but its probably less. I rigged a pressure tester and checked for intercooler leaks. Can't find any major leaks just a few small bubbles around one clamp. What could cause turbo whine with high speed power loss. The turbo blades are clean and feel tight...no wobble. Ideas, suggestions appreciated!
Fuel clean, fuel pressure good.

Stock 1999 2 gen 24 valve 5.9 with Fass lift pump.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

Nothing here?? It seems to me that mine whines as well, but at 22+ on the gauge. I am trying not go get it that high, dont want to have to buy a turbo right now. Other things first.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 AM

I checked clearance between the turbo blades and housing....it was .015....within specs I believe. No detectable bearing thrust movement. I'm thinking I don't have a failing turbo. Maybe a crack I haven't found yet. I get plenty of leak past through the valves when pressure testing. When the intercooler is blocked on the intake side no leaks detected. Mmmmm what could be making the whine....
Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

even a small leak in the intercooler will result in a neat little whine. consider that at 3000 rpm, your stock engine is pumping around 10,000 cfm. At least that is what the MSHA tag said on mine when I bought it. You can't duplicate that with your little bitty air compressor.

crazycooter's Sig:2001 3500 cummins 5 spd, 155K on the clock, 5" exhaust, air dog 100, hx35/hx40 hybrid turbo +175 hp injectors, smarty, glowshift guages, Amsoil air filter, Amsoil 15w40 engine oil. [ wife's ride...'05 LLY don't know what to do to it yet, spare ride - '89 1st gen power ram 250 cummins
Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by crazycooter View Post
even a small leak in the intercooler will result in a neat little whine. consider that at 3000 rpm, your stock engine is pumping around 10,000 cfm. At least that is what the MSHA tag said on mine when I bought it. You can't duplicate that with your little bitty air compressor.
PSI is PSI whether it be air or water at 2 cfm or 100,000 cmf, so if the turbo is moveing 10,000 cfm at @35 psi boost or you turn off the motor and attach a compressor and pressure check the inter cooler at 35 psi it will have the same pressure.

yakdaddy42's Sig:Brett
01 Dodge CTD 3/4 ton 4x4, auto, QCLB straight pipe, BHAF, Van Eekan V5 30 hp/60 hp, 200K miles, silencer ring removed.
95 Ford PSD SD 7.3, auto, 9 ft flatbed, 15,000 lb gvw, 210k miles BHAF, straight pipe and boost fooler

submit to reddit