24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Unsolved mysteries, what is this thing? and more

Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unsolved mysteries, what is this thing? and more

These should be fairly simple for anyone who isn't me...bought this truck not too long ago. I haven't much chance to do many mods myself, or even be under the hood much, besides maintenance. So there's this "thing", i noticed mounted on the intake horn. It seems rigged to me, because there is a red positive wire, from the battery going to it. There's a cheap inline fuse holder on that wire, and the fuse is missing. Then theres presumably a ground, with a blue crimp connector on it. One of the hoses coming from it go to the firewall somewhere, and the other looks like it goes down to the PS pump. The hoses are cracked and crappy looking. What could this thing be? Says MMATICS??? on it...

Name:  IMG_03501.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  82.4 KB

And second. The PO installed an EDGE EZ. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the boost elbow that came in the kit? Its non adjustable, but it has a different style clamp on it than what I believe would be factory. I just dont know what the factory fitting looks like, and dont know if the PO was too lazy to bother with installing the edge one, since the instructions say it doesnt matter. THANKS!

Name:  IMG_03511.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  81.2 KB

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure on the fuse/box attached to your intake horn, but the fitting I think you are talking about looks OEM to me.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

If it's a boost fooler fitting from edge it will have a small hole on the bend that bleeds off a small amount of pressure to fool the sensor. The OEM won't have that hole.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

I can't tell you what the piece is attached to the intake horn but it was being used for vacuum. the boost elbow could be stock or could be edge it is just determined by the size of the hole in the elbow. The edge ez box does the boost fooling. Is the ez still installed? If not have you gotten any over boost codes?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like what I have on my dodge for the exhaust brake!! follow the line from vacumm pump to the exhaust brake

Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Seems like a logical explanation. Truck doesn't have an exhaust brake anymore, but it may have. Would make sense since it has a gooseneck hitch.

Anyways, yes, the edge is still hooked up. Until I get a boost gauge, I guess I cant know for sure about the elbow. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by 99RAMS
Seems like a logical explanation. Truck doesn't have an exhaust brake anymore, but it may have. Would make sense since it has a gooseneck hitch.

Anyways, yes, the edge is still hooked up. Until I get a boost gauge, I guess I cant know for sure about the elbow. Thanks.
Its very simple to take it out and look at it, to confirm or deny.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Diesel Fan

So ONLY the edge elbow will have a bleed hole?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

^ That I don't know for sure but if U.B. says so you can pretty much take that to the bank. So I would say yes. Also the hole is smaller in diameter on the inside.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Numatics solenoid valve is either part of an exhaust brake system or it is a 4x2 low kit. I have the 4x2 low kit on mine. the install instructions said to mount it there on the intake horn. The front axle on these trucks engages via a vacuum switch. basically this will disengage the vacuum from the switch when you have 4x4 locked in, allowing you to use low gear through the transfer case in 2 wheel drive. It is operated by a standard single pole switch. It is super handy when backing a heavy trailer. I bought mine for backing the camper. I believe the manufacturer of the kit was Pac-Brake.

Last edited by UglyTruck; 01-23-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Search this Thread