24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

HELP...LOSING OIL AND NOT SURE WHERE :scare2:

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...LOSING OIL AND NOT SURE WHERE :scare2:

To anyone that can help give some insite. im losing oil and not sure where its all going. i checked my dipstick and there was no oil on it whatsoever. so i checked my radiator and it was full of oil. so i thought it might be the oil cooler since the ol girl has 240k miles on her and since id already replaced the head and headgasket not even 2 months ago. so i replaced the oil cooler and flushed the whole system and put a fresh filter and oil in her and now my oil pressure guage is flucuating badly. one day it will run normal around 40 and the next it will run right below 110 and then there are random times when it will drop down to 0 and buzz check guages then go right back to where it was. i check the oil all the time now and it will sometimes be normal then sometimes there will not be a trace of it on the dipstick then itll sit over night and be back to normal so i dont know whats going on. i do have a front main leaking but its not leaking enough to do this? does anyone have any idea of what could be goin on? any advice would be extremely helpful.

thanks brandon

99 cummins, raptor 150, ddp 200 inj, bd hot rod inj pump, grid heater MIA, 5 speed conversion, power puck, leveling kit, few other goodies ;P rollin coal like there's no tomorrow

Last edited by moondiesel99; 12-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you said you replaced it but sounds like the head gasket to me.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

your oil press. sending unit may be going out or possibly oil press. regulator. wait 15 mins. after shutting your truck off then check oil level and see where its at. hook up a mech. oil press. gauge and compare the readings to the one in the dash when it starts acting up.