24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

bov?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bov?

Need opinions on bov's I know everyone says they don't belong on diesels but i'm after it because it will protect my turbo. I'm at 45lbs of boost and i don't want anything to go wrong with a 1700 dollar turbo. So if by fact the bd bov turbo guard does help let me know what you know. I got a guy that has one used and is willing to sell cheap that's the other reason i'm considering one. Buying new is retarded they are like 700 bucks haha.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

a BOV relieves the pressure on the intake side so if you get off the go pedal real quick you dont back up the compressor with X unused PSI. they are a very good idea on every turbo aplication as a safety measure. on a diesel they can be tricky to install because we dont have a throttle plate. they have to sence a pressure difference from one side of the intake to the other, so some form of plate like butterflies in a carborator will need to be installed. they arnet needed really if you know the mechanics of the turbocharger and how not to bark them.

not needed
they are cool
insurance
sound WAY coolere that a wastegate ever will.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM

ic. Thanks for the help. I think i'm going to go with it because i don't know the mechanics of my turbo and even if i really paid attention to it when i'm in the heat of the moment and i'm beating my truck up i'd rather have the cool sound to back it all up. thanks again. And thanks for not talking down about them like most ppl do and say they are not necessarily the right thing to do.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

you still dont need it but it is good and cool insurance to have. there are better ways to spend the green if your limited in the wallet area. go for it if its cheap i would!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 PM

yeah thats the only reason i'm considering it. it's used, works and it's the legit bd turbo guard.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

They def have their place on diesel applications and is good to have to prevent twisting or breaking turbo shafts in pulling and racing applications... "cool" has been replaced with smart thing to do if it fits your needs.

Product | Bov Controller Kit | Turbosmart USA