24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

i have some problems...

Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have some problems...

hey, i have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 and i have a few issues. this is my first diesel truck and i love it! but i think my U-joint went out in the front differential i dont know how to, and how much it is to fix it. i also just ran into a problem with my turbo i think, my truck is making a weird winding noise when i am driving and when it is coasting but not when i am at idle. does anyone know what my problem is?

also i really want to make this a project truck, i want to get at LEAST 700hp and as much torque i can get so far im going to order : ( keep in mind im new to diesels )

ATS 3-Piece 24 VALVE EXHAUST MANIFOLD
Banks Power High Performance Wastegate Actuator
ARP Diesel Head Stud Kit
BD-Power "Cool It" Intercooler System
ATS Diesel Aurora 5000 Turbo Kit
Banks Power High-Ram 3 1/2" Intake Manifold
Airaid MX Series Intake System

i already have stacks and the Quadzilla adrenaline chip in my truck
what else should i or shouldnt i get??? and how much boost should i be running??

Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

axle joints are a bit of a chore but they can be done. take off the center cap then remove the nut on the end of thje axle. then i remove the tire, caliper, and wheel bearing and hub assembly (this is a great time to think about repacing wheel bearings and possibly ball joints since it all has to come off to replace them anyway with the exception of ball joints). next the axle shaft can then be very gently pulled out. change it like a regular ujoint in a drive shaft. then gently put it back in. be extra careful of the shaft seal inside the axle tube becauase that is a bigger job that requires a special puller and i think removal of the gears in the diff. also be carefull of dirt on the shaft and all the splines. i would recommend goin with high quality joints so you dont have to do them again soon. price is about 40-50 for good joints. i use lots of antiseize on exerything i put back in. i especially coat the mounting surface of the hub assembly. as you are beating and prying it off the first time you will understand ! good luck with it! not sure what to tell you about the other issue i havent had that problem yet.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Diesel Fan

haha alright, thank you very much man i will start looking into it!!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the winding noise in your turbo is a boost leak which i currently have in my truck, check your intercooler boots, make sure one didnt slip off and make sure there tight, if thats not the case then you have a hole in your intercooler like me ahahah, also with your mods your buying, first off do you have a manual or an automatic transmission. if so is the auto built or does the manual have a aftermarket clutch? if you have one or the other with what i just said then your fine with what your getting, if not then you dont need an aurora 5000, that would be way to big . either way your gonna have to put an air dog 150gph lift pump in your truck with a turbo that big or it wont handle it, those go for about $500. other than that your good with mods

Old 11-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Diesel Fan

What does a lift pump do? And okay thanks I'll look into it more I hope it's just a unhooked hose

Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lift pump is the fuel pump to the injector pump

Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Diesel Fan

Oh okay yeah I'll be sure to get that, is it easy to install?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Relatively easy. Do you currently have an intank pump or block mounted? If it is block mounted, its easy. If you have a intank pump, it needs to come out and a delete installed. The tank needs to be droped out, or box removed. Removing the box is much easier if you have a crane or a few buddies tohelp out. Either way, its an afternoon of time.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Diesel Fan

I couldn't tell you right now I have my truck at home but I belive it's in the tank

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWilliams
Relatively easy. Do you currently have an intank pump or block mounted? If it is block mounted, its easy. If you have a intank pump, it needs to come out and a delete installed. The tank needs to be droped out, or box removed. Removing the box is much easier if you have a crane or a few buddies tohelp out. Either way, its an afternoon of time.
Thought they had a tank fuel pumo and a lift pump thats haw every cummins ive worked on has been.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i have some problems...