24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel Pressure

Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure

Hey yall. So i finally got myself some gauges and the DDRP(cuz its all i could afford from FASS at the moment.) And my FP gauge is showing that the LP is putting out about 14 psi after the fuel filter at idle and drops to about 5 at WOT. Now my question is, i got that "snubber valve" or whatever they called it with the FP gauge, would that effect my pressure reading at all? And i probably already know the answer to this question, but would yall recommend i get one of the bigger units from FASS or Air Dog? And which one would be best? Thanks for your input.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your only get 5 psi at wot then yes you need a bigger fuel pump 10 psi at wot is the lowest you want to see

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Snubber valve won't effect the reading, and whatever brand you choose is personal preferance... Fass and AirDog are awesome companies and you never hear of people having a problem with their pumps, AirDog makes the Raptor as well, any of those 3 are a good choice, just do your research

Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Awesome, I appreciate the intput. Is there a way to buy one of the bigger systems and incorporate it inline between my tank and the DDRP as more of a pusher pump? I thought i might have read something about that a while ago but im not sure.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by bwskweeker
Awesome, I appreciate the intput. Is there a way to buy one of the bigger systems and incorporate it inline between my tank and the DDRP as more of a pusher pump? I thought i might have read something about that a while ago but im not sure.
no reason to the bigger pumps supply all you need.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

When I first got my truck, It had one of those horrible in tank pumps that would make 10 psi at idle. To get myself out of a jam, I purchased a block style pump from CarQuest to get me home. I mounted then in series. 31PSI at idle, and 14 at WOT. Those numbers show how little flow those two pumps created. 1 good pump is the way to go. 2 pumps yields twice the work, headache, and possibility for problems.

You don't have an intank pump, do you?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah unfortunately i do have one. Hate the dang thing. Its a POS one from autozone.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok so I was just in your situation. I suggest the following, it may be a bit much but it will save in the long run and be all the fuel you need.
Air dog II 165, Alligator Performance Sump.

The air dog was a breeze to put in and its set at 17 psi residual and has a regulator return which snaps right on to the suction/out side of your tank, comes with all the fittings, only thing you need is to tap your FP gauge in line which was not hard.

The sump goes into the bottom of the tank which means you drill holes and mount it but it was easy besides a bit of fuel in your face and it makes the pump fully push and not have to pull and no dropping the tank.
The sump was about 180 and the ADII was about 670.
Another good thing about the sump is no more issues with 1/4 tank fueling. It was a bit on the spendy side but the install was not bad at all and you will have more fuel then you can burn. Hit me up if you got a question cause its all still pretty fresh in my head.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Is the DDRP trying to suck through the intank pump? If so, that is a massive restriction. Either the Intank needs to come out and a draw straw put in, or eliminate the DDRP all together. The AirDogII comes with a delete for the intank pump.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Diesel Fan

One of my good buddies recommended a draw straw. Im totally game for doing that, my only question for that is do i need to replace that whole suction line with bigger fuel line? And if so what size or does it depend on which draw straw i get? sorry bout all the questions just wanna make sure i do it right the first time under limited funds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure