24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

01 Cummins, de-fueling problem! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 01 Cummins, de-fueling problem! HELP PLEASE!

I've got a 24V in my 01 Excursion, and it cuts out at mid throttle. I was told to bypass the stock ford lift pump and that the VP44 would pull enough fuel alone. It cuts out at about half throttle like it has no fuel, then it will all of a sudden kicks in and wants to haul ***. Does anyone have any input on a Raptor lift pump fixing my problem, like I said, I have no lift pump installed right now, and I need to fix this issue asap. The motor cuts out in every gear, even sitting in park. The only other thing I can think of is the APP sensor being bad, the TPS has been tested and is all good. Please help, thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a real good way to kill a vp44. Sounds like you are going to need a new one and a lift pump. There are some good package deals out there. Just curious how long did it last running like that?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Dude... we told you what to do 2-3 weeks ago. Everytime we give you answers you just try to divert to an easier solution. There is no easy way out, you need a good pusher pump and now a vp44. Go back and re-read all our replies, we warned you how sensitive the injection pump is, and told you monitor pressure and scan for codes, a very simple place to start... instead you removed lift pump? If you scan it for codes now I bet you have code of death for your vp44. And listen to us this time, we only try to help.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Empty wallet, I understand where you are coming from on this, but hear me out. I haven't been driving the truck, it is in the process of getting the tranny built by a high performance shop in Miami. I haven't had a lift pump on the truck since the motor was installed, like I said, the boys at diesel conversions in montana told me I didn't need it. I'm going to order the Raptor as soon as I get home tonight. I will install it immeadiatly and hopefully get some results. The motor has had this problem since the first time I turned it on. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lol vp44 with out a lift pump shoot even with a lift pump they die

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Wasn't trying to be an *******, sorry if I sounded that way... Sadly you were just mis-informed by somebody who knew nothing about the engine you have.. if you ran and drove that thing on just the vp44 pump, you're can guarentee it's life is near the end, if not already over. It's safe to say when it "cuts out" as you describe, that is a result of your fuel pressure hitting the big 0. vp44 wasn't designed to, and cannot handle, pulling fuel from the tank on its own.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Diesel Fan

My Raptor just arrived today, i will be installing it tomorrow morning and see what we get. I am planning to install the new draw straw into the tank to go for maximum volume. I will keep you guys posted. Any tips on making this install any easier? Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 24VExcursion
Empty wallet, I understand where you are coming from on this, but hear me out. I haven't been driving the truck, it is in the process of getting the tranny built by a high performance shop in Miami. I haven't had a lift pump on the truck since the motor was installed, like I said, the boys at diesel conversions in montana told me I didn't need it. I'm going to order the Raptor as soon as I get home tonight. I will install it immeadiatly and hopefully get some results. The motor has had this problem since the first time I turned it on. Thanks for the help.
they must of thought you had a newer 24v with a cp3 pump they can supply their own fuel, but a good lift pump helps a lot. a vp will only draw enough fuel to idle and nothing more. you most likely need a new one. yeah it sucks but some people went through 3 or 4 before they found out the problem was the pos lift pump on them from the factory.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Well, I got the Raptor finished this morning, and no change at all, the motor is doing the exact same thing. I tried to put a scanner on the OBD port but I'm not getting any response. I'm going to look into that some more to see if I can get any codes on the motor. In the meantime, is there a way to test the VP44 to make sure it is good?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm starting to wonder if it is the TPS. When I bought the motor it was removed from a wrecked 2500 Ram, and the intake manifold was broken in half from the wreck. I wonder if maybe the TPS was broken in the wreck as well. From what I have read the dead peddle is a common problem when there is a bad TPS. Anyone have any input on this? Like I said prevously, the peddle seems like it is sticking, like something is telling the truck not to move, not a fuel problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 01 Cummins, de-fueling problem! HELP PLEASE!