24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

If You Just Bought Your First Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If You Just Bought Your First Diesel?

If you just bought your first diesel what is the first thing you would do to it performance wise? Be specific because i'm new to this whole diesel thing. I just want to make it fast and everybody always tells me what to get but I'm not sure what order im supposed to get all this **** in. is there anything specific i should get first, second, third?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Fuel system upgrade and gauges together first, tranny work whether it be auto or manual (not as crucial on a manual but still should look at a clutch if yours is an older clutch, and if planning big power look into the input shaft and 13in upgrade), Intake and exhaust, doesn't have to be together but better to do both, then some fuel, whether it be a chip or injectors, if you go injectors i'd stay around 100's on a stock turbo. If you want to run big sticks with a tuner then turbo, etc. If it's an auto a i'd swap the hy for the hx also before doing fuel but you can get by with the hy just personal opinion.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Welcome to DB.

Before you dive into the fast zone. The first thing you need is a good lift pump(Airdog or FASS) this is the thing that supplys your injection pump with good fuel pressure and flow. I broken or burned up injection pump will set you back a nice $1,000 big ones. A fuel pressure gauge is a must to make your performance upgrades enjoyable.

Next you need gauges you can do a Edge Juice with Attitude works well it will give you gauges and performance or you can do analog gauges and a Edge comp box.

What type of transmission do you have ?

Air intake and exhaust. Use an dry filter nothing with oil and a 4 inch or 5 inch exhaust...4 inch will handle 800 hp plus..5 inch for sound..very loud. This is all by taste and what the person likes.

Last edited by turbo20psi; 08-27-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Diesel Fan

its an automatic tranny

Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Nick06baseball,

Welcome to DB. Just as the previous posters mentioned are things to get started. After a solid lift pump and some sort of gauges to monitor the fuel pressure and other areas such as boost, egts, and tranny temp; you need to know what it is that you are wanting from the truck. There are many things that can be done for different goals. Are you wanting a daily driver, are you going to be towing often and what type of weight, racing and so forth. Each has their own unique things to add in order to meet the demands.

Also as you mentioned a Auto tranny, how many miles are on it? Was the Previous Owner (PO) good and maintained it or has it been abused. There is some though that will need to go into what you want to do with the truck as there are different tranny setups you can choose from as with vendors.

oudive

Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Diesel Fan

Oudive,

i would like to have a daily driver but i also want it to be fast. everything is basically stock on it. There are about 117,000 miles on it and from what the truck looks like the PO might have abused it a bit. i'm just confused where i need to get the gauges and and what the hell is a lift pump? Everybody keeps telling me to get a lift pump gauges and 150hp injectors. Where do i go about finding the right injectors and can i replace them myself or do i need to spend boux coupe money to get them done?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Injectors aren't hard to do, you can do it in an afternoon in your driveway. Lift pump draws fuel from your fuel tank and pushes it to your injection pump. AirDog or FASS pumps are the most popular and very efficient for fueling. Dynomite Diesel Performance have awesome injectors but there are so many shops that have their own injectors so it's up to you. You can get on the site sponsors and get a price quote for everything mentioned above.

Welcome to DB man

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Nick06baseball,

You can open you hood and look on the drivers side close to the rear of the motor. There you will fond the fuel filter housing and right behind and a little lower is the lift pump. If it is not there then it was removed and placed into the fuel module inside the tank. Gauges,well it depends on what you would like. I picked up a Edge Juice with attitude when I first got my truck. It doubles as power adder and gauges. You can turn it up when you want and run it on zero just for the gauges. Or you could go with the traditional gauges, those are the ones that you see on the A-Pillar sometimes. Injectors, well there are many people out there that sell them, check with the vendors.

oudive