24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need help, new master and slave won't engage - Truck down

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, new master and slave won't engage - Truck down

I installed the upgraded clutch hydraulics with the Valair adjustable master cylinder rod. I am pressing the clutch pedal and it will not break the plastic tie on the slave cylinder. I adjusted the rod slightly out and tried again. I have pumped the pedal numerous times and looked for any leaks and see none. Does anyone have any ideas why it will not move enough to break the plastic tab? Pedal feels good, same as before I installed the upgrade. Should I keep adjusting the rod out until it breaks? I went about 1/8" already and the instructions say to start with it all the way in until the truck starts. The truck does start, it just will not break the plastic or go into gear since the rod isn't out all the way on the slave yet. Thanks, Jason

EDIT: One thing I just thought of - when I bolted the slave to the transmission, it would only go on far enough for a few threads to start, I had to push it towards the trans to start the nuts, then I tightened it down with the nuts to install it. How far away should the slave be from sitting flush when installing it? I am thinking this has something to do with why it won't break the plastic strap. Perhaps the throw out bearing or pressure plate is messed up instead?

Last edited by JasonblkZ06; 08-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slave should be flush when installing, remove slave and check to see if the old plastic ball is stuck on your clutch fork. preventing the new one from going far enough into the "socket".

will it not go into gear, or will it not move if your in gear and let out the clutch?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, then something inside is messed up - ball, fork, pressure plate. It is about 1 inch from flush with the trans, then the slave rod touches the fork. The old plastic ball came off with the old slave.

It will not go into gear. I felt the pedal change and heard a slight noise, then lost the ability to shift. I was able to get it into third by pumping the pedal. I drove it home stuck in 3rd going 20 mph, then ordered new hydraulics thinking that was the problem since they have 160K on them.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help, new master and slave won't engage - Truck down

Ok I was under the assumption you had replaced the clutch and hydro @ the same time, your going to need to pull the trans to look @ what's going on, only explanation I have is pivot ball side of fork is wedged in bellhousing or input shaft is tweaked... good luck, lmk what you find.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk