24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Running a little warm....

Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running a little warm....

Ok so I was just wondering if this is normal. Saturday it was nice and sunny 95* so I pulled out the camper to clean it off - ran it down to the car wash to spray it off and came back. Now the way back is a 1/4 of mile stretch at about 7*. This camper is a 21ft dual axle 4100lb trailer - with all we had in it probably more like 5000lb with camping gear etc. So the truck was all warmed up and everything there was a mild hill before the 7* and I dropped her into 2nd and chugged away. Went up the hill great and towards the top (going about 35mph) I looked down at the temp gauge (the stock one by the speedometer ) and it was pretty darn close to the hot line - just under.

Is this normal for it to run that hot? I'm glad I thought twice about pulling it to the camp ground we wanted to go to an hour and half away. On the route it 7* for 7 miles.

I do have a tranny and an oil cooler in front of the radiator and I wasn't going that fast up the hill so maybe just not enough air? Wasn't tailing anyone either...

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

The blow-by bottle is up underneath the radiator. I'm not sure how long you had the truck, but chances are, it was never drained as often as it should've been. So in other words, your radiator is probably soaked in oil. Only way of cleaning it, is to pull it out and steam clean it (220 deg water) or soak it in a strong degreaser then off to the car wash.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Diesel Fan

More info please?

When I popped the cap off the radiator to check the level it was right at the top and bright green?

I doubt the guy that had it before me did it - I've only had the truck for a year. First time I've pulled something "heavy" with it - it's usually my commuter.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...-build-up.html

The blow by bottle gets too full from not being drained each oil change (I had an 01, and didn't know of such a thing). The fan will suck up the oil and clog the fins (outside of course).

Old 08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks wildbill. I did a little more research online and I'm going to replace the belt and water pump while I'm at it.

What a poor design...

Old 08-10-2011, 03:07 PM
BOMBARDIER

Tell me about it.

Wanna hear something else that's even funnier? The 2011's have cabin air filters. Only part is, YOU have to run down to the dealer to get the filter and a couple other parts to install it. On top of that, YOU have to cut the plastic knock out to assemble it. If you do it yourself, around $40.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUE
Thanks wildbill. I did a little more research online and I'm going to replace the belt and water pump while I'm at it.

What a poor design...
why replace the water pump? if it's not leaking it's fine. I would make sure your radiator is clean front and back. also replace the thermostat. a new belt is always a good idea and keep the old for a spare just in case.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Diesel Fan

I figured I might as well since everything's out of the way. It's only $50.

Unless they're built a little better than the 5.9 GAS rams. I lost my pump in that one right around where I'm at in mileage on this one.

I plan on pulling the whole radiator out. I assume the oil cooler and tranny cooler shouldn't be dirty? I was going to drench it in krud cutter - I've used that on oil before worked great unless someone has a better idea?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Running a little warm...

Replacing a water pump is good preventive maintenance if you use quality parts. Check your pressure tank level, not at your radiator cap. The blow by bottle should not be your problem as you drive your truck forward, and air from moving forward and the fan's rearward air will put oil on the engine, not the radiator. How is your air cleaner? Keep your cooling system intact, drain it, add some liquid cascade (dish washer detergent) and fill with water. Keep flushing with engine running with heat on max, it till take several cycles, once the water coming out is as clear as what's going in, your good to go. Hth

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

superclean works well for me. the water pump on these is easy to change only have to remove the belt and a couple bolts but they are not built by mopar so yes they are much better than the gasser

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running a little warm....