Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

How hard is it to change the heater core in these trucks? Mine Has been leaking on the passenger floorboard. Is it something I could tackle on a weekend or is it better left to a shop?... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Default Heater Core

How hard is it to change the heater core in these trucks? Mine Has been leaking on the passenger floorboard. Is it something I could tackle on a weekend or is it better left to a shop?

cummins24's Sig:2002.5 Ram 2500 qcsb 4x4, 5" TBE, Isspro gauges, S&B CAI, S&B intake manifold, DDP 200s, Superchips D Box, Airdog 150, leveled

2005 Ram 3500 AFE intake, Isspro gauges, 5" cat-back exhaust, Dr. Performance Stage 2 chip
Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Jerrod.Stierwalt OSOdanger

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

You can do it, just takes some time. I didn't take the entire dash off but you can. I just took the 5 or six screws out on top of the dash, drop the steering column, and the two bolts on either side of the dash in the kick panel. Then rotate the dash back as much as possible. Then we disconnected the heater hose and cut the tubing in the truck with a saws-all and unbolted the core and pulled it out. If you get a replacement from Napa they have swivel hoses on the core which make it hell of a lot easier to put back in. It will be frustrating to get the new one it but it can be done. So far I have done a 95 cummins and my 02 cummins.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Here is a video on it, not sure how much help it will be my internet connection is to slow to watch it.

H.R.D's Sig:
-Jerrod "OSO"-

2002 3/4 Ton Cummins 5 speed 4x4 X-cab SB
Volant CAI * Edge J/A HOT * Blue Chip VP * PDR HX40 * BD Short Shift * CFM+ * AD 100 * Flo~Pro 4" SS Duals

DIESEL BOMBERS SUPER MODERATOR

CLICK HERE FOR SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER AKA BOMBARDIER

Last edited by H.R.D; 07-23-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Diesel Fan

it can be done in a day. i had to put one in my 02 i only took enough of the dash lose to pull the a/c box out and got my replacement from oreilys had it had the swivel tubing on it
Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

I also did mine in a day. I didn't replace it, but I had it out. My evaporator was plugged solid, and I had no air flow. It's leaking a little now, just enough I get a wiff of coolant when I switch to heat.

RAW's Sig:2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK

SOLD: 2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I got one that has the swivel hoses on it, now it's just trying to decide when I'm going to do it in this South Carolina heat. Thanks for all the help and tips
Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

only cost me about $360 at the local shop. I bought the core at Carquest for $60

crazycooter's Sig:2001 3500 cummins 5 spd, 155K on the clock, 5" exhaust, air dog 100, hx35/hx40 hybrid turbo +175 hp injectors, smarty, glowshift guages, Amsoil air filter, Amsoil 15w40 engine oil. [ wife's ride...'05 LLY don't know what to do to it yet, spare ride - '89 1st gen power ram 250 cummins
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to mrjumpcamp View Member's Youtube Account

I used that same video, step by step, worked perfect!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Diesel Fan

What did you end up doing? I just did mine a few months ago, wasn't terrible, and wasn't something I'd like to do again! Well, luck has it seems the new factory one is leaking, here we go again.

submit to reddit