24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

47RE issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47RE issues

I have a 2002 dodge quad cab, 5.9 cummins that has an intermitent shifting problem. I am not throwing any codes. I can be driving at 70 mph and it will start hunting, upshift and then go back into overdrive. before this all happens , the cruise will disengage. I adjusted the bands, replace the 3rd fourth solenoid, filter, etc. Fluid is not burned or discolored. Transmission running at about 150 degrees...(100 outside). No slipping whatsoever, good and solid. 1st and 2nd sifting smooth no issues. I"ve had the pan off so many times i need to put velcro on it! I can also set the cruise at about 40 and it will "hunt" back and forth....any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanks for any suggestions....

Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Symptoms : Transmission shifting in and out of gear or TC locking and unlocking under light to medium conditions between 40mph-70 mph. You can very often address many of the above symptoms by doing the following :

Look for any ground straps or electrical connections that may be loose or contaminated. Check battery terminals, look for bad chassis grounds, bad PCM connections , bad ECM connections.

This is a minor electrical glitch that is a pain in the butt and causes many transmission failures.

It can take a good 4- 5 hours to properly go over all the above I have mentioned.

A DTT noise filter works the best. Diesel Transmission Technology - DTT Performance Diesel Transmission and Power Accessories

Old 07-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah, what he said... posted a minute before me

Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Default appreciated....

Haven't checked ALL the connections yet, did clean the ones on the tranny and battery posts.
I had the dash replaced by my local dealer ( the only repair in 6 years that I did not do myself) a few moths ago..Could just be coincidence but all hell has broke lose since. I had a map sensor code, cleaned and reinstalled went away. Then I had crank sensor doesn't agree with injection pump. Replaced senor , that went away. Seems like I"m chasing goblins...

Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

The electricial spicks that are generated by the Alternator can fine themselves to a sensor and take it out because of bad grounds or grounds with high resistance. Just what I have experienced.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Diesel Fan

I appreciate your advise, I will start going through connections this weekend and try not to burn my *** since we have been in the triple digits.....I guess I"ll go for dash, firewall and chassis connections first...let you know what I come up with...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Finally ....

After cutting all the battery cable ends off, replacing them with new ones, cleaning al the grounds i could find, the transmission has been shifting fine for about a week. It appears the cruise control canceling out randomly, is all thats left. I thought that the trans shifting and cruise issue were related, but apparently not. I was on the highway last night for about 50 miles, the cruise cancels after about 20 miles, I hit "resume and picks back up again then cancels again. The "cruise light" stays lit and it remembers the speed it was set at, anybody have any ideas? Thanks Tom

Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a bad cruise button? It acts like the cancel button

Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 47RE issues

Tps sensor?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM

It sounds like your cruise problem is a sensitive brake pedal wire. The brake pedal may be gettin barely pressed when you hit a bump jus right and cancellin your cruise.
My truck is havin the same problem with the overdrive though. Bumps in and out of it when drivin around 45-55 mph.

Quick Reply: 47RE issues