24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Help. New guy figuring out modified truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. New guy figuring out modified truck

Hey am new here and trying to figure out what I have on this truck. It is a 2001 Dodge 2500 When I purchased this truck used it came with 4 inch stainless exhaust, edge module, A pillar gauges, and aftermarket lift pump. I thought I was set until I started reading that fuel pressure should be higher. I had 10 psi at idle and 7 WOT. I changed out the fuel filter today and pressure now is 11psi and 7 WOT. Everything added looks great and professionally done but I just discovered an inline fuel filter that I will change out tomorrow. So here is my question, did this truck come with an in-tank fuel pump? If it did, would they have run it in series with the lift pump? I think I should be getting more fuel pressure out of this lift pump. What other areas would there be obstructions to the fuel pressure.
Here is a picture of my pump and top of tank.
I also added a picture of the Edge module that came with the truck. That wouldn't do anything with my FP would it? Thanks for any info, new guy trying to figure it out.

Attached Thumbnails Help. New guy figuring out modified truck-img_0551.jpg   Help. New guy figuring out modified truck-img_0555.jpg   Help. New guy figuring out modified truck-img_0556.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Your chip looks to be an edge ez I have the same in my truck i think 65hp an has boost fooling. Your lift pump looks like a fass drpp all that ive heard about bout them is bad. Ive heard they are alright for a sort period of time then the pressure drops. Check out the Raptor pumps made by airdog i have one on my truck works great.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the info on the chip. I am new to all the diesel stuff but love it. The pump has a tag on it that you cannot see on my small pictures. It is a FASS Model # HPFP. Looks like that will be my next upgrade. Probably one of many.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I agree, Edge EZ and DRPP.
It's hard to tell if you have or had an in tank pump. I doubt you still have it, and if you do it's probably not wired to work. I ran pumps in series for a short time to get out of a bind. I had the very weak in tank pump, then installed a block mounted pump as well. It made 30 PSI at idle, and dropped to 17PSI at WOT. Those numbers show how little flow the in tank pump produces.
Depending on your budget, either a Raptop or a full system from FASS or AirDog is an excellent investment. Check out this link:
https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-2...dog-worth.html

Oh ya,

Last edited by RAW; 06-30-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the link, I changed out the inline filter this a.m. and didn't help get any more pressure. I knew it wasnt going to fix it that much. I think I'll be putting in an Airdog soon. There doesn't seem to be much good to say on the forums about the fass system.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

i personaly like the airdog. ran it for 3 years now with out any problems. i have installed a bunhc of them, and 0 problems out of any of them to date. deff recomend them.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Yep air dog or if you aren't gonna go super crazy power wise the new raptor direct replacement pump which is the tried and tested raptor 100 pump

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

There doesn't seem to be much good to say on the forums about the fass system.
Well, lets change that! I have no problems, regrets, or dissapointments with my FASS. They seem to sponsor more events then AirDog, so I've heard.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM

I talked to FASS on the phone his morning. They think the pump should be putting out more pressure. Tested the line outside of the tank to make sure the screen is not plugged. Its not. They are going to send me a new spring and ball to see if that might be a fix. The pump is three years old but never registered so if it is bad, I have to buy a new one.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

before you go buying anything you need to determine whether or not in tank pump is still there. I know all too well how that goes. look on the drivers side of your firewall, if theres a relay up there with a black wire leading to the ds battery with 5 amp fuse in it... thats the in tank pumps power. I can tell by your tank cap you had that "upgrade" as dodge calls it, at one time. Now I did away with my pump but re used the basket, etc. just made my own 1/2" draw tube. It is possible that was also done on your truck, so to be sure that pump is gone you should lower strap bolts on tank as low as possible without removing, loosen the cap ring, raise the unit just high enough to see 4 wires (2 blue, 1 yellow, 1 black) and if you see 4, and not just the 2 blue wires for fuel gauge, then you know damn well that pump is still in there.

Quick Reply: Help. New guy figuring out modified truck