24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Help New 47RE Transmission is Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help New 47RE Transmission is Cracked

Hello I just got my 2001 Cummins last year and I recently replaced my transmission. I got a re-manufactured transmission from SanTan Transmissions in Queens Creek Arizona. Long story short I was going to finally get my truck back in good running shape only to find out that the transmission they sold me is junk. The case is cracked where the copper fitting for the trans cooler goes, which causes it to leak a lot. I got on the phone with them and they are telling me that they don't cover cases under warranty and they aren't willing to work with me on it.

I just want to know if anyone else has ever ran into this problem before or if anyone knows what my options are. I just can't see how a company can charge me so much money for a broken product and then say they don't cover it.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

If it was never even installed in the truck and driven, I don't understand why they wouldn't work with you on it. Only other thing you could do is buy a core from somebody and swap the parts over. You can find a 47re for around 300 bucks that needs rebuilt.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Diesel Fan

It was installed, the crack was discovered after it was put in and filled with fluid. So getting a new case is one option. I just wish there was an option that didn't require spending more money on something I already paid for.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Diesel Wrench

I'd be flipping out at the company. Tell them they can take it apart and see for themselves that it hadn't been driven yet. They can't sell you a broken product and not replace it. That is unless you signed a paper saying you are buying it as is. If they don't help you out you will win in court no doubt

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ablackburn
Hello I just got my 2001 Cummins last year and I recently replaced my transmission. I got a re-manufactured transmission from SanTan Transmissions in Queens Creek Arizona. Long story short I was going to finally get my truck back in good running shape only to find out that the transmission they sold me is junk. The case is cracked where the copper fitting for the trans cooler goes, which causes it to leak a lot. I got on the phone with them and they are telling me that they don't cover cases under warranty and they aren't willing to work with me on it.

I just want to know if anyone else has ever ran into this problem before or if anyone knows what my options are. I just can't see how a company can charge me so much money for a broken product and then say they don't cover it.
That fitting that is leaking doesn't take much to put it in to tight and crack the case. Seems to me that they installed it and cracked the case and may have put it in the final paper work that you signed under the radar.I would check the paper work out.

Yes this is wrong that they won't fix there mess.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok so here is the warranty information they provided. I had to type it all out.

Warranty: 30 Month Unlimited Mile Warranty on Parts Only. This warranty does not cover electrical components, solenoids, cases. Customer declined extended warranty. Does not include: Removal, Re installation, Diagnostic Time, or any incidental costs to repair the vehicle, Abuse, Incorrect Installation, Incorrect Application and Conversions, Incorrect Oil, Low or Even No Oil, Incorrectly Installed PTO's, Cracked Bell Housing, Reverse Gear Clash, Damaged transmissions due to all clutch component problems, Vehicles used over the maximum GVWR, Aftermarket Turbo, Disassembled Units, Any Labor Costs, All Signed Invoices must be emailed or faxed to Santan Transmission within 5 Business Days from Purchase date to validate warranty, If not received before the Fifth Business Day, Warranty will not be filed and voided.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I just feel that regardless of whether its voided in the small print that they can't just get away with getting over $1500 from me and giving me something that isn't capable of working in the first place.

Last edited by ablackburn; 06-21-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Diesel Wrench

Take it to court. You'll walk away happy

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Diesel Fan

I have never dealt with courts or lawsuits, is there any way I could get them to cover all the costs of getting the new trans in? Like shipping, labor costs, fluids, ect. Since I paid for all those things already. Also does anyone know if they could be responsible for paying the court costs and my lawyer fees or would that be my responsibility?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

They could. Most lawyers will do a free "Talk it over " deal to tell you if you and him/her have a rock to stand on.Been that the case was broken has you were driving away is a no brainer. I would also report the company to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) just for a record.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Diesel Wrench

Im no lawyer or anything but in your case I really think you would have no problem getting your expenses paid. Maybe bring it up to the company, just say you sold me a broken case... If you don't replace your problem then I'll see you in court... It might change their mind because nobody wants to deal with a lawsuit. It's really not a stupid pointless lawsuit either, that's a legit case

Quick Reply: Help New 47RE Transmission is Cracked