24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

popping in front end

Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default popping in front end

I'm getting a pop in my front end when turning the wheel to the right. It happens randomly and only when turning it right, not when returning from right and not going left. I shook down the front end and couldn't find anything loose or rubbing, and it started after I put on a new track bar a couple months ago. Could there maybe be dirt in a joint? I know it on the drivers side because I can feel it with my left foot on the floor board near the clutch pedal. Mayybe just needs greased again? I've tried laying under the truck with my girl friend turning the whell while it was running and it seems to not happen when I'm under of course. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

is it coming from the wheel or something else? It sounds like it needs bearings.....

Old 05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Diesel Wrench

Can't tell exaxtly, I feel the pop and hear it through the floor, I don't really feel it in the steering wheel. It happens whether I'm drivng coasting or sitting still while turning right.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

that is really wierd man

Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked the stabilizer bar end links and the bushings that hold the bar on? If they are not tight it will cause a popping sound like you describe

Old 05-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Check your control arms. There is bolts on top of them that are used to align the front end and they have to be tightened a s*** ton. If they aren't completely tight you can see your control arm move when you turn the wheel. Did you recently have an alignment done? If you did you might wana check those out just to make sure.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Diesel Wrench

No I haven't had an alingment done recently, they may be loose though from the iccidents I had with a bad track bar though ill take a look. And I went a got a grease gun and some high temp grease today and loaded up everything in the front end and that didn't make a difference so ill look into the control arms and see if maybe a tab is bent or bushing and tighten it up. Its just been stumping me without enough time to really look it over, hopefully tomorrow after work I can do some really good investigating and find the problem.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure your looking at your top control arm when someone is turning the wheel, happened on my truck thats why me and 901stgen suggest that it would be the control arm because it sounds exactly as you have described. And i think to fix it totally you have to replace the bushings because i tightened it as much as i could and still does it under hard turns

Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

That's the weird part, it does it when hardly turning the wheel right. Like just starting a right.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you get the time i would just start by getting under the front end and start shaking anything to do with the steering system for excessive play, grab each tire at the top and shake the truck back and fourth. hopefully you can recreate the problem to see what is it. and when you said a popping noise in your original post i thought you meant like a loud nasty popping noise that when you turn at a stop sign everyone at the intersection thinks your cab is separating from the frame.. cause thats what mine sounded like ha. anyways good luck with your search, would like to hear what you find

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: popping in front end