Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

My air dog pump does not turn on when i turn the key or bump the starter......also the wait to start light no longer comes on too...how can i test to see it the fuel relay is bad?... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Default Wait to start light

My air dog pump does not turn on when i turn the key or bump the starter......also the wait to start light no longer comes on too...how can i test to see it the fuel relay is bad?

CajunDevilDog's Sig:99 24 valve, Afe cold air intake, Afe Blade Runner intake manifold, Diesel Power Source 3 piece exhaust manifold, 4" ss turbo back MBRP Smoker Stack, Air Dog 100, Edge Drag Comp, 5" Tuff Country Suspension w/ 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

Swap it with another relay under the hood. Test the function of relay being swapped first, like the horn, or blower.

RAW's Sig:http://www.dieselbombers.com/signaturepics/sigpic13667_9.gif
2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK
Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to chad83181 View Member's Albums

Listen to him he does know his stuff about the cummins sometimes even more than the manufacturer techs of aftermarket products that you call for help. TRUST ME ON THIS!!!!!!!!!

chad83181's Sig:[/SIGPIC] SOLD 2001 LARAMIE SLT 2500 4X4, BHAF, 4" DOWNPIPE/EXHAUST, SILENCER RING MIA, SKYJACKER SHOCKS,FASS HPFP 95.SMARTY SENT TO BETTER HOME FOR A EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE THANKS TO RAWilliams and a set of 150 BIG DAWG INJECTORS THANKS TO LUKE @ DIESEL DAWGS PERFORMANCEAND A FEW TRANNY GOODIES SOON WITH A TURBO
Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Diesel Fan

relay is workin.....still no wait to start light......is it possible to have 15lbs of pressure at idle with out the the air dog workin?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

No, that's not very possible. There is a small hole in the overflow valve that always allows fuel to excape from the injection pump. It is more likely that your WTS bulb has burnt out. Not that that is the issue, but it is more probable.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Diesel Fan

A friends truck is doing something similar but the wait to start light takes a few seconds to come on and the airdog does not cycle until the wait to start light comes on. Does the truck start fine? Does the airdog come on when you bump the starter/

heavy hauler's Sig:99 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 35x12.5x16.5 BFG MT, NV4500, Southbend clutch, BHAF,4" straight exhaust, Edge comp, Industrial Injection HR VP44 w/ high idle, 40 hp BD injectors, ATS 3 piece maniforld, stock turbo max 35 psi, Water Meth inj, Silencer ring gone, BD pyro and boost gauges, EV electronic fuel pressure gauge. WORKING ON A COMPOUND TURBO SETUP USING STOCK HX35 ON TOP OF HT3B.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM
High Tech Redneck

Jacob Boness

exactly as long as the pump starts running when the starter engauges no issues. To prime the fuel system on my old 2000 the pump would not run with the key in just the on position, the starter had to be bumped for the ecm to send a signal to the pump.

Red_Rattler's Sig:JAKE

DIESEL BOMBERS SUPER MODERATOR

CLICK HERE FOR SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER AKA BOMBARDIER
03Flame Red 2500 4x4 QuadCab Handshaker HO,Kore HP Kit, Smarty REVO, AIRDOG II 165, Banks TechniCooler, K&N FIPK, MBRP Cool Duals 6inch tips, GunSlinger Pistol Grip Shifter, SRT Inine 6 Hood, Jacobs Brake

95 2500 4X4 Ext Cab Handshaker "BUCKN' BADGER"
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Diesel Fan

well heres the thing....it used to come on when i turned the key and when i bumped the starter....just quit a few days ago.... i noticed that it had stopped giving a lil shot during the wait to start....then i put a fuel pressure gauge on 3 days ago and bumped the starter and cracked a fuel line to get the air out of the system and the pump never came on.....i ended up having to crank the motor with the fuel lines cracked goin into the block to get the air out.........truck runs fine and starts fine.......i just want to be sure its alright to drive like this.......i just changed the vp44 2 weeks ago when the factory lift pump died
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

As long as you have pressure while the engine is running, no damage should occur.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Diesel Fan

alright thanx just wanted to nip this in the bud before i was on the hook for another $1500

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Check Engine light came on.... P1689 ?

Last edited by CajunDevilDog; 03-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

submit to reddit