24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1998.5 dodge no top end power while towing

Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998.5 dodge no top end power while towing

I am having problems towing my 36 foot close race car trailer. If there is any side or head wind I can not get my truck over sixty five mph. If there is no wind i can drive 75 or 80 unless there is a hill and I slow down to sixty. The only upgrades I have done is banks RAM air intake and the bigger waste gate actuated. I have a edge comp chip but am sure it does dont work as I can't notice the difference when its on or off. Any help would be grateful.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have gauges?? You didnt mention them! Maybe your losing fuel pressure!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing your still running the Stock Lift Pump? (Those things are JUNK!)
If so you need to look into getting an Airdog, FASS or at least a Raptor.
Upgrading the LP is the first Mod you should have done followed by gauges. You need to keep an eye on your FP, not enough pressure will cause the VP to fail... and that isn't a cheap fix.
The chip probably works but your not gonna see any benefit from it if your not getting enough fuel.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM

I do have tue stock lift pump I believe. I don't have gauges. What all gauges would I need to get for towing? Would a bad lift pump cause a drop in mpg. Seemed like four years ago i remember getting a lot better milage.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Fuel Pressure, Pyro and Boost.
When is the last time you changed the Fuel Filter??? It could be something as simple as that.
I'd still upgrade the LP asap even if the Fuel Filter fixes your problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM

I changed the fuel filter every ten thousand miles. This problem has been going on for a while now. What lift pump do recommend from the three list above. I just want my truck to pull my trailer without no problems and hope a few extra mpg.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Diesel Fan

It's just a matter of what you want to pay. The AD and FASS are pretty much equal and the Raptor is the same just without the Filters. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

I don't mean to keep bothering you guys. Two questions first the raptor is the stock filter good enough to filter the fuel? And do you need the air dog to take the air out of the fuel? Second regarding gauges is the analog gauges the way to go or getting like the juice or v2 pulse digital set just as good. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stock filters are alright someone said it here a while back about some way to hook up air and water seperation filters without the whole pump hopefully someone can chime in and fill the gaps and the air dog is just the name both airdog and fass have water and air filters and on gauges i prefer analogs myself but those new cs cts monitors are probably just as good hope this helps