24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

truck dies while driving down the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default truck dies while driving down the road

so i was driving home and my truck quit running four times on a 15 min ride but it started right up after each stall .so i finally got it home so i did the key scan method and two codes came up 1694 1693 is the ecm or the vp i know what the 1694 code means but what does that actually mean please help thanks

Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the Voltage to your APPS?
Are you still cruisin around with the Stock LP?
It could be toast.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Was your tach doing anything weird when it stalled? If im not mistaken 1693 mean the tach has low voltage and 1694 is the TCM (tranny control mod) has no bus signal. And since the both run off each other, if the tach has low voltage and dies on ya, the TCM will read that the motor has not rpm's and will shut off

Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Diesel Fan

i have a airdog and i never noticed anything with the tach and no i never checked the apps yet

Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go ahead and check your APPS.
I was having similar problems with my truck and that cleared it up for me.
Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Diesel Fan

update so i swapped the apps from my buddys truck which is the same year and everthing and its the same.only thing i noticed was the truck would start with jumper cables then as soon as you take them off it stalls so i figured it was the alternator so i changed it today and now nothing it wont even start.im thinking the ecm is shot also one more question if i were to p pump it would that get rid of the ecm problems thanks need help

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck did the same thing... I had a ground loose on the passenger side so I re-connected that and primed the whole fuel system again to be safe and haven't had a problem since.

When the truck died my tach and all gauges would hold for a few seconds like the power was cut off but then start right back up with some cranking. It also gave me the no bus signal when I ran the diagnostics. Check all your connections and grounds, it could be as simple as one loose to fix your problem

Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Diesel Fan

i will do that but also my airdog isnt even kickin on i hear no noise from it but i can hear the relay clicken and the fuse isnt blown

Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing with my Fass system. Sounds like your loosing power somewhere.
As big of a pain it is check any connection that would control it. Like I said mine was just a ground and everytime I would shut the hood it would kill the truck so I started it up and shook all my connections one by one and found it.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Diesel Fan

I put a multimeter tOday on all the injection parts and I'm gettin nothing it's showin no volts but I checked other things that weren't connected to the injection system and they have power is there anyway to check the computers to c if there bad

Quick Reply: truck dies while driving down the road