24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Engine Missing HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My tach would stop working intermittently and it threw a code (341 I think). Other than that there were no noticeable issues while driving. The sensor was pretty cheap, only 40 bucks.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM
KwS
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally, I get back in here to post an up date. Sorry it has taken me so long.
I pulled the VP 44 and sent it back for testing. There were no pump codes set and the pump was ran on the test bench twice and proved to be good. There was a code internal to the pump controls. I don’t remember the number now but it was for the cam shaft position sensor. According to what I was told it was showing as an intermittent problem. I assumed this meant it came and went at random. So I ordered a cam shaft position sensor and replaced it as I was reinstalling the VP 44.

Apparently that was the problem because I have not experienced the issue since.

Thanks for all the input and help. I appreciate it.

KwS

Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem... i went first for the map sensor... i bought a new one and it did the same hicups.. and put back the truck computer since i have a banks power pack, just to make sure the ottomind wasn't the problem, so finnaly replace the camshaft sensor and the problem was fixed..... but the code for the camshaft never showed up.. kind of wiered!!!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank God, there's light at the end of the tunnel. I put a new APPS,replaced Air Dog pump, and a new VP44 and still the problem persists with no codes. So, how hard is this cam sensor to replace? Does the VP have to come back out to get to it?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what about a 98.5 my truck is having a miss at idle would my crankshaft sensor be causing it to miss? truck runs fine though just miss at idle pretty hard.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by AF1CUMMINS
Thank God, there's light at the end of the tunnel. I put a new APPS,replaced Air Dog pump, and a new VP44 and still the problem persists with no codes. So, how hard is this cam sensor to replace? Does the VP have to come back out to get to it?
no actually you don't have to take out the vp, it has a 3/16 allen screw holding it in place and you just pull it out....the sensor it self it's not screwed.... it's underneath and beside the the vp..... i also replace the iat sensor and the water temperature sensor to avoid future problems..
good luck!!!!

The following users liked this post:
AF1CUMMINS (09-06-2010)
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan

good fix, thanks. My truck throwing no codes, but above 55mph would hicup, hesitate, sputter. Replaced the cam position sensor and that fixed it. Start there! before APPS, etc. I used a 5mm hex allen wrench to removed, use a 9" extension and go in next to the block to get the hold down bolt out. Keep it clean going in.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Similar issues

So my truck is a 99 Auto 4x4 with an 01 Motor , but I have a tone ring bolted to the front Of the motor for crank sensor....

I had to replace my motor in October due to the 53 Block crack... I replaced it with an 01 Complete, but bolted all my 99 Electricals to it. New IP....I got 4 months of Happy out of it, then in march I started getting the cut out at speed, Tach dropping off to Zero....seemed most prevolent at cruise speed of 65-70 and RPM in the 1900 range...it would just cut out and come back, And pulling hills I get the Wimpy Limp mode Truck will also randomly surge...? Over rev...like it is over fueling or over firing fuel off time...? mostly at cold start but some times at idle randomly after driving a bit and coming to a light or something....

My 2 main codes are No communication between companion Modules...?
and Crank sensor malfuntion code, but I have replaced the crank sensor 2 times with factory units..?

Could my issue be cam sensor with no code..? or the IAT sensor.? also no code..?

Thanks in advance, a Confused Diesel owner....

Old 07-12-2016, 02:09 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm having similar issues to what the op had, and I had to leave my truck at a family members house 7 hours from me so I could make a job interview. Now I have to go back and get my truck. I was just going to tow it home, but now thinking maybe with the similarities in running problem I'll drive down with a trailer, and a cam position sensor and give the sensor a try. Here's what my truck is doing. It bucks at higher rpm. First noticed it very faintly around 65-70 mph (I realize that isn't rpm ), then it got slightly worse. Got to my destination and the truck set for 3 days. Then on return trip I drove 80 miles with no issues on the interstate, had to exit and go through town. Then when I got back on the interstate the bucking came back really bad. Couldn't take truck over 60mph. It would buck consistently. It idles fine, runs great with no loss of power, then all of a sudden it gets that buck or stutter. It's normally happening at around the 55 mph mark now. SOrry I can't remember the rpm. Trucks an automatic. When it acts up the tach still works, and if it drops at all it's too small of a drop to notice.

I guess I'm looking to a little input on this one. If people that had cam sensor issues think it may be worth trying. Right now I'm thinking drive down with the trailer, stick the sensor in it and see what she does. If it starts to act up, then throw it on the trailer and tow her home.