Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Im having problems with the heater in my 02 dodge 2500... it gets warm but not hot. Also i have an edge attitude with juice so i can watch my coolant temp. It usually gets to around 180 degrees but it also fluculates a lot. ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Diesel Fan

Default Heater Problems

Im having problems with the heater in my 02 dodge 2500... it gets warm but not hot. Also i have an edge attitude with juice so i can watch my coolant temp. It usually gets to around 180 degrees but it also fluculates a lot. I have 100% antifreeze in it.. Help please..
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

might have a flow problem through your heater core itself the valve might not be opening all the way might have airflow problems through the heater core just a few things to check at that temp it should be plenty warm
Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
BOMBARDIER

Not really addressing your problem - but you shouldnt run 100% antifreeze/coolant. There needs to be some water in the system. 60% antifreeze & 40% water is about the max amount of antifreeze that you want to run.

Dr. Evil's Sig:
98 12V quad cab 4X4 AND 2001 24V quad cab 4X4

SEEN IT ALL, DONE IT ALL, CAN'T REMEMBER MOST OF IT !
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

Definitely cut that mixture of pure anitfreeze! That's probably your biggest problem. 50/50, or 60/40 are decent ratios. Mix it for your climate, most 50/50's will only gel at -34C. A 60/40 will take you down to -50C. If it doesn't get too cold, go 40/60, safe to aprox -28C or so.
Referring to flow, water flows easier than Glycol, it is thinner. Better flow may promote more heat into the heater core.

RAW's Sig:2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK

SOLD: 2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Site Mascot

View Member's Albums

like said above cut it to 60/40 max

only other thing I can think is maybe the heater core has an airlock in it....after you cut the mix let the truck idle with the heater on and the hose that feeds the core pinch it with yer hand several times to create a surge and that may get the airlock out

Whit's Sig:"Enjoy the day. Take what you want and leave the rest...."
Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys the safternoon i will pump some antifreeze out i got to thinking thats the problem before i posted the first time. Thats what happens when you listen to your father
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Diesel Fan

My 01 I bought back in December had that same problem. Truck has 200k on it. Had the heater core changed out as it was plugged and starting to leak. Also just replaced the ballast resistor for the heater motor. Now all works fine. Will have the A/C checked in the next couple weeks to make sure it is as cold as it should be.

RED-025's Sig:01 Dodge, Van Aaken Smart Box 'R' BD exhaust Brake and D Torqloc Cnverter lock up

submit to reddit